To anyone in Mallorca right now...

alpineaddict
alpineaddict Posts: 247
edited June 2015 in Road general
Just looking at the long range weather forecast as heading out there in 4/5 weeks time...

Needless to say my jaw hit the floor with this long range forecast... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.metcheck.com/europe/city_forecast_14days.asp?locationID=62721&CountryCode=ES&Location=Majorca

BUT, they are saying that it is almost 40 degrees now, so I'd like to see how reliable this forecast is, as others are saying it is around the late 20s now...

Thx

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    BBC is saying it's high 20s and I'm more likely to believe the MET office tbh.
  • alpineaddict
    Which would be more like it I think... Saying mid 40s for July... Think I'll need to be heading out at 5am if I'm gonna get any rides in...
  • markhewitt1978
    It's obviously nonsense, says tomorrow afternoon 41C, BBC says 26C
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    Well, it did hit 38 degrees in early May so 40s in July is possible.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    its possible but unlikely Mallorca has a fairly steady temp range all year around, it has had a few snowy winters lately which has been fairly rare in the past but being such a small island nothing last for that long.

the year before last we had mid 20s in March which was lovely
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I'll be there in July too, but not really to cycle, too hot and busy for that, I'll mostly be on the beach munching tapas, although I might squeeze in a quick morning ride or two.

Far better to cycle there from mid Sep on, and the sea is still nice and warm.
  • markhewitt1978
    Far better to cycle there from mid Sep on, and the sea is still nice and warm.

I noticed a big difference compared to cycling there in October last year and early May this year.

In October I set out for an hours ride just as the sun was coming up and it was already far too hot for me, I was struggling in the heat.

This May set out for the same hours ride from the same place just as the sun was coming up and it was quite pleasant.

The temperatures during the day were broadly similar.

I can only think it must be that the ground had already been heated so much from the summer that in October it didn't really cool down overnight, whereas in May that hadn't happened yet.

Or it could be my imagination and it was just different weather!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    People still use Metcheck? Even when it's rarely right and, well, that incident?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Mayo4Sam
    Mayo4Sam Posts: 10
    Going to Puerto Pollensa on Sunday for 10 days. Plan to be on the road by 6.30 am. After 11 am and before 6 pm it's just to hot for us pale Nothern Europeans!!
  • I live in Menorca (only a short hop) and its 28, sunny but windy. The met says 40
  • bronco016
    bronco016 Posts: 39
    According to my aviation weather app (which is very accurate from my experience), the maximum temperature at Palma Airport was 29 degrees today.

Maybe 40 degrees is in the sun? Remember the temperatures you see in forecasts and on the TV etc are in the shade

Hope that helps?
    http://www.mallorcacyclinghotels.co.uk
    Cycling friendly accommodation in Mallorca
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I had a look at Menorca (which is where I'm heading off to at the end of next week) and it is about 15deg lower for that week. Seems like quite a difference for two places so close to each other??
    Menorca showing about 25-27degC, which is lovely :D.
    If we had temperatures like that in Scotland it would probably be raining steam.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • markhewitt1978
    I had a look at Menorca (which is where I'm heading off to at the end of next week) and it is about 15deg lower for that week. Seems like quite a difference for two places so close to each other??
    Menorca showing about 25-27degC, which is lovely :D.
    If we had temperatures like that in Scotland it would probably be raining steam.

Menorca and Mallorca are indeed very close, so close that they will have identical weather, Mallorca gets a weather front, Menorca will too. Aside from local differences due to mountains etc they can be the same.
  • alpineaddict
    Thx guys... and no, I don't really use MetCheck anymore... Used to be great, but it was the only place I could find with a very long range forecast...

Did seem quite odd..
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Having lived there for 7 years it can easily hit that temperature but the heat wont get you the humidity will
  • alpineaddict
    30 degrees I can handle... I think... :?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647
    30 degrees I can handle... I think... :?
    It'll be cooler in the mountains and feel a lot cooler on the descents.

But lets face it, you'll cycle no matter what, even if the locals go underground to avoid the heat. Just take fluid and money for more fluid.