Which 30mm tyres?Challenge or Compass?

ctc
ctc Posts: 232
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Thinking about getting some bigger tyres - currently running opne paves at 27mm, but planning to go to 30-32mm

Looking at what's available, it's coming to these two:

1. Challenge Strada Bianca - nominally 30mm, but apparently go on bigger. 26tpi, so should be roughly similar to the open paves. Cheapest seems to be here:
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;menu=1000%2C4%2C22%2C35;product=96458

2. Compass Stampede Pass - 32mm. The person who designed these seems to be regarded as a bit of genius with tyres. Looks like these are made by panasonic

I'm going to be 95% road with occasional straying onto paths, so nothing heavily off road...

Comments

• stavgold
    stavgold Posts: 61
    I've just fitted 38mm compass barlow pass tyres on my genesis croix de fer. They are very plush and just as fast as my previous 28mm Grand Prix tyres. You need to drop the pressures though. I'm using 45&55 psi. I'd have no hesitation in ordering 32mm compass tyres if that was max my bike could take. I got my tyres from velo vitality in Brighton. Next day delivery if in stock. I also thought about the strada but in the end paid the extra for the compass tyres after reading good reports here https://janheine.wordpress.com
  • stavgold
    I also meant to say if you do go for strada tyres you can pick these up for £70 for a pair from ribble cycles after using discount code DAD10
  • jezzasnr
    jezzasnr Posts: 225
    I've put the Challenge Strada's on my Kenesis Five T and really like them. Latex tubes. Super smooth, and certainly don't feel like a bigger tyre. I've ridden them on the local roads and also commute along the cycle path.
    They were absolute bar stewards to fit initially on to Shimano R501's
    Challenge recommend fitting them with butyl tubes initially, and then switching over to latex once they've bedded in & stretched a bit. bit of a PITA, but you'd be doing well to do the 1st fit without ripping the latex tubes.
    Despite all the buggering about, I'd say that they were worth it.
    note - I am a tart, and the fact that they are available in tan wall is a huge part of this.
    ....like it's golden
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Panaracer gravelking
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    challange strada tyres go on easily to the velocity aileron rim though so it not all rims they are tight on. On the Pacenti SL23 they are impossible to mount and I mean impossible.

With latex tubes the ride is sublime. I run mine at 60- 70 psi on the rear and a slow as 55 psi on the front. They feel like a race tyre but more comfortable. Great for long days in the saddle over cobbles.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ctc
    I did look at the gravel kings, but it looked the 32s had quite a bit of tread on them and as I'm mostly on road i was thinking the slicker tyres might be better.

I'm riding on Archteypes, so thinking they are probably OK to get the stradas on.

Ta for the tip about Ribble - makes them a bit cheaper!

I've also been wondering about whether to go tan. If I go for the Compass, I'll probably not get the extralights so it will be tan...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I did look at the gravel kings, but it looked the 32s had quite a bit of tread on them and as I'm mostly on road i was thinking the slicker tyres might be better..

The tread won't bother you on the road... I find them very robust and adequate for road as well as gravel... the only downside is that the TPI is not huge, hence they are not as supple as a pair of Strada Bianca... but neither they are as expensive
    left the forum March 2023
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Voyager Hyper
  • stavgold
    I have compass extra light 38mm tyres on my croix de fer with SKS mudguards. Running them around 55psi. They are expensive but I love them. I don't think they are slower than the 28mm Grand Prix II tyres I had on previously and they are much smoother than the 28's. I purchased them from velovitality
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    I have compass extra light 38mm tyres on my croix de fer with SKS mudguards. Running them around 55psi. They are expensive but I love them. I don't think they are slower than the 28mm Grand Prix II tyres I had on previously and they are much smoother than the 28's. I purchased them from velovitality

Stavgold - do you mind me asking what model and size of SKS mudguards you're running on your Croix de Fer and whether you'd recommend them as being a good fit on that bike.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    I use the Strada's in 30mm. Nice to ride. I think they do cut easily, mine have quite a few very small nicks but none penetrate. 1st time fitting is fiddly as they don't want to stay round like normal tyres do. Tubes seem too big as well. They pop on perfectly . I am using wide rimes though. Maybe that's the trick, don't try to use conventional rims.
  • ctc
    After a £200 rebate I splashed out and got the Compass Stampede extra lights. Put them on and managed to put myself out of action for a couple of weeks with a stupid accident
    Now been out on them a few times. What surprised me was the low psi you can run them at. I'm using them at about 60, and I think I can still go lower.
    Very nice- just as fast as the open paves, good grip in both wet and dry (oh how I wish I had only had to ride them in the dry so far...) and incredibly comfy. No squirming when cornering and even on very broken country lanes you just float along the top without losing any speed. Favourite tyre now, but I just wish they were cheaper
  • stavgold
    Apologies for late reply about mudguards on my croix de fer. I have a 2015 frame in bronze with carbon fork. I built it up with hydraulic disc brakes and 105 11 speed groupset. I fitted sks bluemels 45mm with 38mm compass tyres on archetype rims. The mudguard fit is pretty good but I did need to make a few modifications. Firstly I had to take a small notch out of the rear guard to allow the front derailleur swing arm to function correctly. Secondly I drilled a hole in the rear guard to fix directly to bridge. The front guard fitted without much issue although I added a spacer to avoid disc caliper. Clearance is fine but next time I will go 32mm compass tyres to reduce toe overlap. I'm still loving the 38mm compass tyres though, so smooth.

Good write up here http://smutpedaller.blogspot.co.uk about croix de fer build including mudguards, tyres, racks...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    Cheers Stavgold. I'm building up the same frame as you, also with 5800 105, but with TRP Spyres. I've ordered some SKS P45s so thanks for the tip about the front derailleur. I'm planning to try some Vittoria Randonneur Pros initially in 35mm to see how they handle mixed winter use on and off road.