installing with KMC Missinglink chain link?

yadnom1973
yadnom1973 Posts: 45
edited June 2015 in Workshop
I’m installing as new chain. I have bought the appropriate 9 speed Shimano chain and I also bought a 9 speed KMC MissingLink. I thought this might be a better idea than the pin for cleaning. I presume the chain is the correct length but if I use the MissingLink thing I’ll add another link? Should I remove a link from my new chain first beforeI’m installing as new chain. I have bought the appropriate 9 speed Shimano chain and I also bought a 9 speed KMC MissingLink. I thought this might be a better idea than the pin for cleaning. I presume the chain is the correct length but if I use the MissingLink thing I’ll add another link? Should I remove a link from my new chain first before installing with this link tool or will it be fine? or will it be fine?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Unlikely the chain will already be the correct length. Most need shortening. The joining link is still a link, so needs to be counted as such.
  • yadnom1973
    yadnom1973 Posts: 45
    Yeh, I was under the wrong impression there eh. Good job I asked. I’ve found a YouTube video on measuring the length of the chain. Thanks for pointing that out.