Carrera Vulcan 2013 crank

shrek741
shrek741 Posts: 5
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi their, as seems to be often the case I am quiet new to this so not sure about terms and sizes when it comes to changing things on my bike so a little help is greatly appreciated. I own a 2013 Carrera Vulcan and am after changing the front crank to a single ring (chain guide needed). Could you possibly point me in the right direction with what I should be looking for, sizes I need and what to avoid. Thanks for your time. :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Stock crank is a Shimano square taper, you need a square taper crank that needs the same width BB (nearly all MTB Shimano will be fine) and has removeable rings.

I'd look on ebay
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shrek741
    Awesome, very helpful. Thanks for the quick reply :D
  • The Rookie
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shrek741
    I notice the example you gave is x3 so I assume I can take 2 of the rings off creating the x1 I'm after ? Might sound obvious but would that leave me needing spacers or will the chain guide take up the slack ?
  • The Rookie
    You put a single ring in the middle location, you shorten the chain to suite, if you use a narrow wide (or similar) ring there will probably be no need for a chain guide (which can't take up any slack, not sure how you think it would). You can use the original rings but ramped teeth (for shifting) are not the best idea when you want the chain to stay on.
  • shrek741
    Yep, all seems quiet obvious when explained like that ! Thanx for the assistance, will be ordering the parts this weekend. Looking forward to getting stuck-in, cheers.