Avid Elixir pistons - how hard should they be to re-insert?

timbooth
timbooth Posts: 160
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a pair of Avid Elixir 1 brakes - never been used, but have been on a bike for 2 years. The front is fine, but the rear was clamped solid to the disk. I managed to release the wheel and remove the brake.

The problem is one of the pistons - it won't retract back to where it should, which I see from Googling, is almost 'normal' for Avid.

I tried pushing it back with a "large, flat-bladed screwdriver", but it didn't work. I tried pulling the lever, then greasing the sides of the pistons to help it back - nothing.

Push finally came to shove and I pulled the lever hard enough to pop the piston out (over a container to catch the brake fluid). Then I disassembled the calliper.

So, now what? I have a bleed kit, but just trying to push the piston in 1mm is hard - I can't see how it is going to slide in and out easily? There are no burrs or manufacturing faults to be seen, it just seems to be tight (which I know it needs to be).

So...how hard should it be to get the pistons back in - do I need to push harder, or just buy a new brake?

thanks

Comments

• lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    Fit new seals - they should push in without too much force
  • timbooth
    Thanks - should it need new seals, bearing in mind that the brakes have never been used and the seals have been bathed in brake fluid the entire time?
  • lpretro1
    Well, theoretically, no they shouldn't. However, experience shows us that for Avid Juicy & Elixir if the brakes are not used regularly - like a few times a week at least then the pistons/seals do seize solid. Before you change them it may be worthwhile letting a bit of fluid out and trying to push the pistons back again. We also often find that Avids are 'overfilled' from the factory - just letting a tiny tad out makes all the difference. If it doesn't new seals...
  • timbooth
    Thanks - I already tried that - removed some fluid, but it didn't work. The brake is now in two pieces with the pistons out, so there is no brake fluid in it at all. Looks like I need to find new seals.
  • lpretro1
    Thanks - I already tried that - removed some fluid, but it didn't work. The brake is now in two pieces with the pistons out, so there is no brake fluid in it at all. Looks like I need to find new seals.

Bike goo sell them