Buying a new mountain bike

jkinable
jkinable Posts: 3
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a new mountain bike in de USA. Since I never bought a mountain bike myself (always rented them) I would love to get some advice.

Minimum Requirements:
-front suspension
-proper brakes, no cheap brakes pads

Usage:
-Commuting daily, also when it is snowing. Steep roads.
-Taking it on mountain bike trails.

One of the local bicycle stores offered me a Felt Nine 70 with XL frame (for specs: http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2015/Bikes/mountain/xc-hardtail/nine-70.aspx) for 679$.
Is this a good offer? Does this brand have a reasonable resell value? If you would rather go for a different bike, I would love to know why, and where I should be looking for?
In terms of price range, I was thinking 500-700$. Is this reasonable?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This is mainly a UK forum, so doubt many people know US new or second hand values.

And it's brakes. You break if they don't work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It's pretty much as budget as budget gets, as long as it's priced accordingly then it's fine.

Considered second hand? Something in a 26" wheel size has dropped a lot in value these days, and yet are still great to ride even if not quite so fashionable.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    This is mainly a UK forum, so doubt many people know US new or second hand values.

And it's brakes. You break if they don't work.

They probably spell it wrong in America, like most of the ENGLISH language they seem to spell wrong.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No they are meant to spell it properly, but the Mericun edjukashun system being what it is......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    To be fair half the locals on here get it wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I used to own a Felt - that was my first 'proper' mtb.
    Bombproof frame, but that is as good as it gots.
    Bombproof also meant heavy and poorly specced. Doesn't look like they have changed that much either.

Have you got any other options from a different manufacturer?
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • jkinable
    jkinable Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
    I got a very nice offer for a second hand Gary Fisher 29er Hi Fi Pro which is in good condition. It's slightly more expensive than a new Felt Nine 70, but seems to be a significantly better bike. Furthermore, the added advantage is that if I ever have to sell it, I can probably get a better price for it than I would get for selling a Felt Nine 70.

Ps. Sorry for spelling brakes wrong :wink:
  • cooldad
    Nice bike and welcome to the forum.

ps. You're excused.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Definitely a much nicer bike. Good decision.