edco 11 spd cassettes

jewbs
jewbs Posts: 139
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Just wondered if anybody has used these on their 10 spd wheels and what your thoughts are on them. Have they worked ok or had any problems.
I'm considering using one of these with DA 9000 groupset. My wheels have 10 spd free hubs and don't want to swap the free hub to 11 spd as i still want to use the wheels with my other bikes which have 10 spd group sets so these seem to be the answer.

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    No experience of the edco cassette. But you could try removing 1 cog like this
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=119299
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'm considering using one of these with DA 9000 groupset. My wheels have 10 spd free hubs and don't want to swap the free hub to 11 spd as i still want to use the wheels with my other bikes which have 10 spd group sets so these seem to be the answer.
    Er, yeah, you could get one of those incredibly expensive cassettes, or, you could replace your freehub and just use your 10 speed cassettes with a 1mm (or is it 1.85mm) spacer like anyone else would?

Since you're thinking of replacing the freehub anyway, you could also look at filing/grinding your existing ten speed freehub to see if you can get 11 speed cassettes on without paying to replace it.
  • jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    Er, yeah, you could get one of those incredibly expensive cassettes, or, you could replace your freehub and just use your 10 speed cassettes with a 1mm (or is it 1.85mm) spacer like anyone else would?

Since you're thinking of replacing the freehub anyway, you could also look at filing/grinding your existing ten speed freehub to see if you can get 11 speed cassettes on without paying to replace it.

Yes they are expensive but they do seem to answer the problem that's why i thought i'd ask if anyone has experience of using them. I don't want to fit a new free hub because i still want to use the wheels with my current bikes which run 10 spd groupsets. I have been told that if i change the free hub , the change in position of the wheel will mean having it redished or rebuilt with different length spokes. So the idea of just changing cassettes over when i want to use the wheels with my different bikes is appealing .
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389

Yes they are expensive but they do seem to answer the problem that's why i thought i'd ask if anyone has experience of using them. I don't want to fit a new free hub because i still want to use the wheels with my current bikes which run 10 spd groupsets. I have been told that if i change the free hub , the change in position of the wheel will mean having it redished or rebuilt with different length spokes. So the idea of just changing cassettes over when i want to use the wheels with my different bikes is appealing .

I swap freehubs on my powertap to toggle between 10&11 speed, just pull the entire freehub/cassette assembly off, push the other one on. Takes about 30 seconds.
    Granted other hubs might be different but re-dishing and swapping spokes sounds a bit OTT.

The edco cassettes do look interesting, I was looking at them as they do some odd ratio combos.