Assistance Required on Possible Discrimination

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited June 2015 in The cake stop
Hi All.
I wonder if there is anyone that can advise on the following.
My son and his mate (French citizen) are in the process of renting a flat for next years university course. And a mighty intrusive and expensive business this is proving to be.
What has really got my gears grinding is the letting agency demanding a 'double deposit' from the chap from France, citing the fact he is not a UK resident.
Can this legally be done? Is it a case of discrimination against foreign national?
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    Is it really worth the hassle of being offended by this?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    It would be standard practise as he could burn the place down and skip off back to France, leaving no one for the insurance company to sue. Other than your son of course.

I bet that thought has calmed Goo down a bit and stopped his gears grinding as much. :lol:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I would have thought that Mr G would have been only too happy at this obstacle to Frenchies and suchlike coming over here and stealing our jobs etc?
  • mr_goo
    I would have thought that Mr G would have been only too happy at this obstacle to Frenchies and suchlike coming over here and stealing our jobs etc?

Ooooo! right between the eyes. Should have seen that coming.

Thank you soooooo much for your responses. I agree it is not worth the agro. I could understand the burning down and running off bit if student was from darkest Peru. But France, not.
    Anyhoo. Let sleeping dogs lie now.
    Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    If you decided to look into it, this agency may offer some advice/information

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Yes they re asshats but in fairness nothing will trash a house quicker than a group of students living there...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236

Thank you soooooo much for your responses. I agree it is not worth the agro. I could understand the burning down and running off bit if student was from darkest Peru. But France, not.

Christ.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    He's from France.
    He speaks French.
    He shrugs alot.
    He doesn't wash that much.
    What's the problem?

just pay up you garlic loving Citroen abuser
  • ballysmate

Christ.

Don't get your thong in a twist. I'm sure Goo was just emphasising the ease at which someone from France could be traced as opposed to someone in more exotic places. I'm sure no insult to Peru or Peruvians was intended, as I'm sure you are fully aware. :wink:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Interesting that there was a very successsful film recently about an illegal immigrant from Peru finding his feet in London...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    IME the French have a fine tradition for setting fire to things when protesting about stuff, so I think the risk is if anything higher in his case than with your average theoretical Peruvian.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    My (ex) wife was american - it was standard practice and when I challenged it it was always down to risk. Risk is in essence distriminatory - usually not on electoral register raised the question "why" and when answer "not english" came back it tended to be "well that's a higher risk, which means higher deposit"
    Insert bike here:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Interesting that there was a very successsful film recently about an illegal immigrant from Peru finding his feet in London...

I think the neighbour may have actually been Mr Goo.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Not being on electoral roll means you're not on the automatic system for the credit reference agencies and that probably means letting agencies have to use the telephone to speak to someone at the agencies to obtain credit references. Some financial services can't be bothered with that which means refusal for financial product because of it. I guess letting agents think the same time way by just whacking up the costs just to rent. I'm guessing that could be the reason not really about nationality. People with British citizenship can also get caught out this way because of their lack of interest in politics, voting and getting on the electoral roll.

Chances are any Peruvian who can afford to live over here is going to be from money or are educated or in a good job. Perhaps not as big a risk these days.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    My grandfather was an American. That meant he saw a lot of prejudice in the fifties. In the sixties he nearly got fitted up for a wages and robbery but family in the police.force stood up for him, risking their job. Fortunately he mamarried into a large and close family. All mention of him got deleted the from the investigation saving him.from deportation.
    He had prejudice from many sources not least because of the GI bride prejudice (they met after the war so wasn't one)

To travel through Europe he had to spend a few days in London getting visa, entry and exit papers from the UK embassies of every country he passed through. A real pain since they often went right through Europe on trains with so many papers to ge.

Financial matters also took a lot to get sorted. Visits to larger branches of banks or insurance companies. Things got better later on but fifties and sixties were hardest.

Still he really naturalized well just too proud of his birth country to become officially British. He passed for British in a lot of ways.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Student tenants are pretty low on the food chain and add a foreign citizen with a profile and limited history which cannot easily be verified and the risk increases which is apparent and offset by the excess?

The deposit gets paid back at the end of the agreement as long as there's no damage so whats the issue?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mr_goo
    My darkest Peru reference was indeed about the traceability of someone from an exotic country.
    Yes students are held in low opinion, but they are not all 'Young Ones' stereotypes.
    Indeed the deposits are returned if no damage to property. But now that the deposits have to be held in an independent trust, with a release of charge of £90!!!
    Said French student has had to provide evidence of address in Paris, parents ID, bank details, etc etc.
  • ballysmate
    My darkest Peru reference was indeed about the traceability of someone from an exotic country.
    Yes students are held in low opinion, but they are not all 'Young Ones' stereotypes.
    Indeed the deposits are returned if no damage to property. But now that the deposits have to be held in an independent trust, with a release of charge of £90!!!
    Said French student has had to provide evidence of address in Paris, parents ID, bank details, etc etc.

Allah.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

Allah.
    Is a release charge different to interest?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    when I was a student, our landlord didn't refund our deposit (very unfairly, had charges like £60 for removal of a lampshade which was there when we moved in and we checked and it was still there after he charged for its removal!!) two of the people I was sharing with were studying law and so decided to take him to court and we won but the guy disappeared and we never actually got the money back!

Things are a lot better now the deposits are held somewhere the landlords can't easily get to them in my (rather biased) opinion, £90 or not.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684

First night in new house, floods the place. Left alone one day, causes gas explosion. Can't be trusted.

And leaves a sticky goo(ey) mess everywhere, like students.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.