Cannondale Caad 3 - will it take a Hollowtech II BB?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,891
edited June 2015 in Workshop
Hi Guys,

my brother has a rather nice Caad 3, but the replacement Campag groupset that was fitted about 6 years ago has run it's course.

He also needs new wheels, and as luck would have it, I have a pair of Fulcrum 5's and a 105 5700 groupset, both brand new that I am going to let him have for a very good price.

The only thing I am struggling to find is concrete info on the BB.

Does anyone know if a Hollowtech II BB from the above groupset would fit the frame?

I found this thread that suggests it's an English BB with 68mm thread, in which case I think it would be fine.
http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/802460-cannondale-caad3-1997-stock-bottom-bracket.html
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Commuter advice not good enough eh?

tut tut :lol:

and yes it will
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    Commuter advice not good enough eh?

tut tut :lol:

and yes it will

Well I thought it was more of a workshop specific thing! :D

Thanks for that though :-)

Only issue I can foresee is that I have all of the relevant Shimano tools, but zero campagnolo ones, not sure what the logistics of removing the current BB and cassette are, imagine everything else is pretty straightforward.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    depending on the campag BB yes they are different sized tools and the cassette defo are, if i was you i'd take it to Banjo cycles or the specialized store in Newbury they'll sort it out in a jiffy

Plus if his frame is old its quite likely that the old BB is stuck in there pretty hard
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    Cheers ITB, they actually have my Mountain bike at the mo, as it is leaking fluids, not sure if it's the forks or the brand new brakes, and I haven't tinkered with hydraulic brakes ot any great degree, hoping it's an easy one.

They are leaving the current Banjo site and moving next door to the concept store, which is a bit of a shame, as was a good location in the centre of town, hopefully their business will be unnaffected.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    Nice bunch actually you can easily spend a few hours in there just chatting bikes, i like the concept store bike it needs a bigger car park