Bike Rides Harsh An Crash'y

m0rph
m0rph Posts: 7
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I am looking for some inspiration really which way to take this either to continue or scrap this in favour of a 29er.

I have a bike that I have cobbled together over a period of time it used to be a kona cindercone frame I upgraded the front forks to sid's thinking it would make it ride a lot nicer and it still crashes over everything like it a rigid.

I was offered a nice Cube Reaction GTC pro carbon frame so I got it and it still rides harshly, I done some research to find that sid's even when at the specific weight setting run hard so I now run them pretty softly indeed, I have tried ride with the tyres low which helps a bit but not a lot.

When I have ridden my mates 29er's that he has had they all ride real nice.

Let me list my spec and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Cube Reaction GTC Pro Carbon
Rockshox SID's 2013 I think, they are straight steerer with adapter in the frame to fit.
Full XT group set with KMC chain.
Mavic Cross Ride Wheels.
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.0 or 2.2
Magura Louise BAT brakes.
Thomson Stem.
Bontrager Riser.

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like the SIDS need a service, they are not at all a harsh fork, maybe it's as simple as the lockout knob being fixed wrongly so they are always locked, a decent checkover will sort the issue.

Surely you could tell which end was harsh, if it was the front then changing the frame was never going to make any difference!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Would be inclned to agree. I run 2012 dual air sids and they are far from harsh. Diy service pretty straightforward using Sram website. Ignore air guide if air fork and go by sag.
  • m0rph
    Ok cheers I will start with a service on them do you guys use the stock fluid inside or something else.

What do you think about running the adapter to make the forks fit the tapered bottom of the frame ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you sure you're not just putting things together badly?

I doubt that just a fork service will make that much difference. They are pretty new. You'd be able to feel if the forks are rough just pushing on them static.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • m0rph
    To be honest I'm not sure if I am putting them on badly or not, I'm not a mechanic but I have been doing my own bike since I was at school so have a reasonable idea of how things go, also I watch online vids and read the manual of how to do stuff.

I do have my cousin who helps here and there and he is cytech trained but he isn't always around when I need him so can't rely fully on him.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Some bigger volume tyres would probably help.
    Rockshox forks often have bugger all oil in from new so a service would be worth doing. I always top up the oil in new Rockshox forks before fitting them.