Scott Foil headset assembly?

primalcarl
primalcarl Posts: 579
edited June 2015 in Workshop
I've received a replacement Scott Foil frame under warranty but the headset/forks weren't assembled.

The headset only has:

upper bearing
lower bearing
split-crown
upper bearing cover

Should there be any other components? Does the upper bearing sit straight into the frame?

Thanks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Do they fit?

Sounds like an integrated headset.

More info can be read on parktools website.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • primalcarl
    It doesn't seem quite right no. I can't find anything to clarify, except a photo here which appears to show what looks like a bearing race that would sit in the frame?

rp9QQBt.jpg
  • Sounds right. They just press straight in. Split ring sits inside upper bearing.
  • cyclosteve
    cyclosteve Posts: 150
    yes the large bearing goes straight into frame and same with the small up top.as simple as that I got a foil replaced bearings took old out and replaced new in same way no more creaking job done simple
  • primalcarl
    So the upper bearing sits straight into the frame on the carbon?

Here's a photo

18683362210_7335bf10e0_c.jpg20150616_215814_resized by Carl Spiers, on Flickr
  • Ok, so no- the frames usually ship with the upper bearing collar already pressed in.

That black bit beneath the Ritchey top cap in your first picture- that needs to be pressed into the upper first and then plonk the bearing in....
  • primalcarl
    Yeah that's what I thought, cheers! Have emailed the shop that sent it
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My CR1 frameset, sealed box, straight from Scott, came with the pressfit BB installed but the head tube completely bare and the headset components in a bag. Had to press in upper and lower alloy cups using a DIY headset press (threaded rod, nuts, washers, spacers) before dropping in the bearings themselves.

Odd that you seem to have 2 bearings but only one alloy cup in the photo. Have you already pressed in the lower one? Also cannot see a crown race; have you fitted that to the fork?

(That looks like the very same Ritchey WCS headset I have. If so, there's no split ring mentioned in an earlier post)
  • primalcarl
    That photo above is not mine but one I found online.

From what I can gather, the fork steerer base is tapered to accept the bearing so doesn't need a race. The bottom bearing seems to fit snugly into the frame so I'm unsure if that should have a press fit cup too. Argh!
  • I don't think the lower bearings require the press-in collar/ race...

Both my Foil and Addict also had the thin, split washer for the upper bearing.

This shows the correct gubbins you should have:

1366275233-19169800.jpg

Note only the upper press-in "cup", for the smaller upper bearing and the silver split-ring...

If you're lucky, you might be able to press the upper cup in by hand. It doesn't take much. You could even get away with a rubber mallet :lol: if you're very, very careful LOL. Otherwise, either knock-up a home-made press, or whizz it into your lbs and they'll do it in about 5 secs...