Waving.........no, not what you think!

chewa
chewa Posts: 164
edited June 2015 in Road general
Don't want to raise that old chestnut.

I have a habit of thanking motorists who pass safely (a thumbs up or a raised hand) in acknowledgement. Rarely used, it has to be said, but the last few months I feel like I'm in a parallel universe. The last time my right arm got this much use......no, we'll leave that there.

Summed up today by my usual 20 mile lunchtime run where I was constantly acknowledging drivers holding back to pass when safe, waiting until oncoming cars had passed before moving out, waiting until after a bend..... and allpassing well over the other side.

On the whole ride, only one driver cut me up (overtaking as a massive earthmover coming the other way encroached on our side).

And I've noticed a big improvement over the last 6 months or so. I think driver behaviour is better than any time I can remember in the UK (I've been cycling on the road for over 40 years) and almost reaches French levels of consideration.

Is it that all the MAMILS are driving their cars when I am out (I am a MAMIL too!), or is it just, as I always hoped, more bikes on the road, no matter how badly ridden, make motorists much more aware?

Or is it just a microclimate of consideration near me :)

Anyone else notice it?
plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
FCN 7
While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Unicycle
Couple of others!

Comments

• Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I get that feeling occasionally until someone comes along to remind me that, whilst most people are nice, some are proper arseholes.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Things are definitely getting better generally speaking. I can only put that down to the fact that more people are cycling and so drivers may be cyclists or have family/friends who are so think a little harder before manoeuvring. Of course there will always be some idiots out there, you can't cure stupid as they say.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Most bad driving I anticipate and shake off, not letting it bother me but one thing that consistently drives me to pull out the ancient wanker sign or the raised arms of "What the f are you playing at?" is when a driver when squeeze to get in front of you and then slam on the brakes in a bout of over caution at a roundabout etc. Absolutely drives me wild.
  • alpineaddict
    alpineaddict Posts: 247
    I get that feeling occasionally until someone comes along to remind me that, whilst most people are nice, some are proper arseholes.

This...

Most people DO seem to make that little extra effort, however was cut up quite spectacularly by a long wheel base truck tonight... needed to come back across as he misjudged how much time he had, and how long his bl**dy truck was...

Thank god for grass verge :shock:
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    Credit to the O.P. - thanking drivers for being patient is something we road cyclists should always do.

I do it a lot, and often get courtesy in return - it makes the roads a nicer place!
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I tend to wave thanks to drivers that wait patiently on islands or junctions rather than speed out or cut me up. I also cover my front light as if it's flashing in the dark when vehicles have passed me safely especially lorries.

i don't quite understand this. you're covering your light at night after a vehicle has passed? does this not hide you from the driver? if i were to pass you and your light suddenly disappeared i might think you've fallen off!

have i misunderstood?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I tend to wave thanks to drivers that wait patiently on islands or junctions rather than speed out or cut me up. I also cover my front light as if it's flashing in the dark when vehicles have passed me safely especially lorries.

i don't quite understand this. you're covering your light at night after a vehicle has passed? does this not hide you from the driver? if i were to pass you and your light suddenly disappeared i might think you've fallen off!

have i misunderstood?

I think they mean passing their hand in front rapidly to mimic a flash of the headlights that a car would do to acknowledge thanks, rather than just covering up the light for an extended period.

I also try to acknowledge courtesy in drivers, but usually only if I know I've been holding them up for a while - otherwise it just turns into thanking them for something they should be doing anyway (ie - thank you for not running me down!)
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165

have i misunderstood?

I think they mean passing their hand in front rapidly to mimic a flash of the headlights that a car would do to acknowledge thanks, rather than just covering up the light for an extended period.

I also try to acknowledge courtesy in drivers, but usually only if I know I've been holding them up for a while - otherwise it just turns into thanking them for something they should be doing anyway (ie - thank you for not running me down!)

thanks, that makes sense. i couldn't get the gist earlier but now you've said it, it's obvious. :oops:
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    Credit to the O.P. - thanking drivers for being patient is something we road cyclists should always do.

I do it a lot, and often get courtesy in return - it makes the roads a nicer place!
    Completely agree with this and I tend to do it too. But it's also a bit ridiculous as we are effectively thanking people for not killing us to death and just doing what any driver would do for another car.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I'll often give a thumbs up or a flick of the hand if people let me in when I cross the road, something similar to what people do in their car or when they say thank you when somebody holds the door open for them.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    Completely agree with this and I tend to do it too. But it's also a bit ridiculous as we are effectively thanking people for not killing us to death and just doing what any driver would do for another car.

LOL, I do this too.
    I do think it's a good thing though, a bit of thanks/acknowledgement might just make a few think that not all cyclists are c**ts, and may change their general perception.
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217

LOL, I do this too.
    I do think it's a good thing though, a bit of thanks/acknowledgement might just make a few think that not all cyclists are c**ts, and may change their general perception.
    Exactly why I do it. The unwritten rule of the 'thank-you wave' between drivers is bizarre, you thank somebody for giving way to you when you have right of way. Extending it to my cycling is easy (lift one hand off the bars occasionally) and it might play a small part in easing driver-cyclist tensions, which benefits us all.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

LOL, I do this too.

+1 ...I always do it too the moment I know someone has waited a few seconds for my benefit. It's just good manners.
  • For every courteous driver there will be another bell end who overtakes you then immediately stops to turn right.
  • LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    For every courteous driver there will be another bell end who overtakes you then immediately stops to turn right.

That's not my experience, although I don't ride in cities so my sample might be skewed.

I find the bellends are in a tiny minority, probably <1%, of the drivers I encounter. Like many above, I acknowledge a wide pass, or somebody who hangs back until it's safe as I think it enforces the positives for both rider and driver.
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I like waving when somebody has done something wrong. It's normally not a full fingered affair though!

I just like to wave and be polite, whether the drivers notice doesn't bother me, but I feel like a nice chap so I do it.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    Then again there is always the driver that hangs back hangs back hangs back - you get the gist - when they are easily able to overtake with clearance. When they eventually decide that the few hundred yards of clear road in front is enough all the cars following them come past in a rush - probably blaming me.

I do remember one occasion when a driver had followed me for a couple of hundred yards and eventually thought the road was clear enough so pulled over completely into the other lane to overtake me - unfortunately the clear road included a hump back bridge with a car coming the other way. Luckily there was no accident.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that drivers need to know how to efficiently and safely overtake a cyclist.
  • Nickshek
    Nickshek Posts: 27
    I always give a wave or nod where appropriate...it's just manners!
    FELT F5 // FFWD F6R-C
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    When climbing, if an oncoming car is waiting for me to pass before turning right. I theatrically speed up and have perfected the 'YOU are making me suffer here!' look. Always gets a smile and often some encouragement from the driver.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I've been thinking that overall drivers have become vastly more patient over the last year..I've noticed a marked improvement i.e less over taking on blind corners etc.

Personally I always thank a driver if they've been sitting behind me for 20+ seconds to pass safely, I wave them through so the next guy along they will give the same treatment...cost's me nothing and makes me feel good about myself tbh.
  • The thing that annoys me the most amongst other things is when a car overtakes you on a straight stretch of road with no other vehicles in sight but still continues to give you absolutely no room whatsoever, use the whole bloody road its not that difficult! :x

Mind you I think I would tend to agree that drivers are getting better, but there are still the arseholes that think they own the road, you never seem to go for a ride without encountering them!
  • I'll always wave to acknowledge good driving, particularly where they have had to sit behind me for a little while (greater than a minute & I'd pull in) because of the cars coming the other way.

Generally I'd say drivers are getting better with cyclists, presumably because as cycling gets more popular there are more of us out there and also quite a lot of drivers are also cyclists.

Still the occasional tool who tries to pass when there is no room or almost cuts your nose off they pull in so quickly
  • Have always done this when I hear a car behind me for a while, and yes, do seem to be doing it more these days. Also do it when an oncoming car waits behind a line of parked vehicles rather than squeeze through in my lane, or doesn't pull out of a junction in front of me like an utter prick - problem with that though is you're often immediately overtaken by a car that you weren't aware was behind you and you start to wonder if the first driver would have shown the courtesy if there'd just been you coming...
    Job: Job, n,. A frustratingly long period of time separating two shorter than usual training rides
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    I do this too . also give truck drivers a big thumbs up to let them know when they have passed me and are ok to move back in
  • bronco016
    bronco016 Posts: 39
    Hopefully with the boom in cycling recently a lot of the drivers will be cyclists before long....fingers crossed for things continuing to improve??!!??
    http://www.mallorcacyclinghotels.co.uk
    Cycling friendly accommodation in Mallorca