Priority - Weight or Comfort?

w00dster
w00dster Posts: 880
edited June 2015 in Road general
Hi All,
Just a question to see people's thoughts.
I have quite a long ride this weekend, approx 220 miles. It won't be a solo effort it will be a group.
I fairly regularly ride 100+ miles. 220 is going to be my furthest by a long way. I have only ever ridden centuries on my road bike, carbon, light wheels etc, all in all about 7.3kgs. (Running tubeless tyres at approx 90psi)
My winter bike I only ever ride for approx 80 mile rides, with 80 being reasonably rare. It weighs approx 12.5kgs and has heavy disc wheels with 34c clincher tyres at approx 60psi (max for road and light off road use).
My winter bike is steel and is about as comfortable as can be. Its a cheap bike, Genesis CDF with Sora gears. But its soooo comfy.
My other bike is great for 60/70 mile rides, but I do feel stiff after that, last Sunday's century I was in a fair bit of pain to be fair. What would be people's view, bearing in mind we are riding in a group and be expected to keep up. Should I go for comfort and attempt to keep up on my winter bike or keep to the known road bike and take pain killers before and during the ride? I could possibly keep up on the heavier bike, but is an unknown in terms of fitness/effort required.

thanks.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Its possible that your winter bike is almost as uncomfy but you just dont ride it long enough to find out ?

If you're uncomfy after 60 miles - I cant imagine what you'll be like at 4 x the distance. You need a bike fit or at least someone to look at it - but its a bit late for that....

In your position I'd be thinking about riding the bike you think is comfiest - but maybe swapping tyres over ?

I don't think i'd be riding if I needed painkillers to do it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,333
    I'd go comfort without hesitation. Might be worth changing tyres, what are you on now? Something like Vittoria Randonneur Pro, big, comfy and roll well.
  • w00dster
    Thanks for the replies so far.
    For context, I have nerve damage in my neck/back. It's not as bad as it sounds. But bike fit is fine. I ride a lot, had a fairly recent off and this wad a heavy jarring bang which resulted in inflaming my issue.
    Tyres on the cross bike are Bontrager CX0 Team Issue. I was thinking about putting on 28c tyres, but also thinking one of the reasons my cross bike is so comfortable is down to the wide tyres?

My worry about using the heavy bike is just down to fitness. Whilst I'm comfortable with my fitness riding my roadbike, not sure about the heavier bike with much heavier wheels. I do regular centuries at over 17/18mph average, this ride we are aiming at 16mph average. I really don't want to be hanging off the back not able to keep up. If I was doing the ride on my own it would be on the cross (winter) bike.

I think I'll pick up the Vittorias as mentioned above and see how comfortable that is.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Depends.

Do you care about how fast you do the 220miles?

If you want to do a good time - smash yourself to pieces on the light and fast bike. If you can't walk for a week afterwards - who cares, you'll have ridden 220miles in 12 hours (or whatever you're aiming for).

If you want to have a good time - take the comfy bike every time. Pace yourself, eat and drink regularly and 220 miles will be a blast.

I would 100% endorse Veronese68's point though - get some lighter and faster rubber on the CDF and you've got the best of both worlds. A decent set of 28s is more than enough and something like GP 4 Seasons are strong, comfy and pretty quick.

Plenty of people in my world putting big miles in on CDFs and far heavier bikes than that!
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    Do you have a support vehicle/back up if it all goes wrong?
    If theres a vehicle..shove the one you don't want to ride in there…at least then you can change at some point..see if that helps, or failing that..me personally, I would go on the lighter bike… with a recovery plan, (usually the wife!!) If you were like me, i.e. only the one bike..the issue would never raise its head! There is some sense in The Chancellors reasoning after all! She is saving me from your sort of dilemma!! :D:D:D
  • w00dster
    Hi Vinny,
    We do have a support vehicle, but I'm not sure about space for an additional bike. Its a good idea and I'll check it out. The ride we are doing is a Coast to Coast ride called Chase the Sun, Isle of Sheppey to somewhere near Weston Super Mare, official mileage is 205, but my route said 218. The club I ride with has about 10 of us doing the ride so not sure how much spare space there will be. Other guys in the club have the same dilema, winter bikes were out at the weekend.
    I've been told it gets pretty hilly after about 150 miles so at the moment I'm leaning towards the lighter bike with decent light wheels that should be easier on the climbs.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I have a carbon bike 8kg and an Audax steel bike approx. 11.5kg, both bikes with 25mm tyres. If it was me I would use my Audax as more comfortable and less aero, although not as fast. So in your case I would go with your heavier bike, but put narrower tyres on it. It may be obvious but take your most comfortable saddle - swap if necessary.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Presumably you will be staying together ? So all out speed won't be an issue unless you're happy to shell riders out as you go ?

If your winter bike has wider tyres than the summer bike then yeah I reckon a fair bit of the comfort is down to that.

I'd be plumping for the winter bike.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    How certain are you that the group will stay together? If it is a definite, I'd be tempted to take the lighter faster bike as you will gain more from drafting and the camaraderie. If the group splits up and you get left on your own or with only one or two people to ride with, then perhaps the comfier one makes more sense.

I did a Team Everesting 3 weeks ago, there were 12 of us. I had thought about riding it in small groups but in the end most of us went at our own pace and as individuals. I did it on a Giant Propel and it took me 28 hours to do the 230 odd miles. I managed to trap a nerve somewhere in my shoulders and my left foot still tingles a bit behind the toes, but they were the only comfort issues apart from the sore butt. It was 100 miles more than I had ever done, so it is possible; we all found we were way over our estimates and as the time goes on you stop more often for longer.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    it's al about the shorts, gloves and insoles.