XC/Commuter Geartrain- Upgrade 9sp to 10sp?

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi.
Following a road accident with bent crank, chainrings, bottom bracket, pedals, & front derailleur and a well worn cassette , I'm in need of the best parts of a new gearchain (currently on a 9 speed Deore from 07) with a XT "Shadow" rear derailleur which is about 3 years/ 6000 miles old.

I'm considering paying in addition to the insurance payout to change to a 3x10 (M780 Triple) or 2 x 10 (M785) speed system , given that my 9 mile route is a mix of hilly road, woodland mud and gravel path, plus the odd weekend warrior ride through the new forest or QECP.

When you compare the weight savings of the 10 speed to my 125 kg + 14.4kg bike base weight, I'm torn on which way to go compared to the £100 uplift for that parts that aren't broken (shifters and rear derailleur), especially as I was thinking of changing from 44/32/22 to a 48/34/22 gearing as I'm topping out 27 mph at the moment at ~85rpm cadence, and can go faster ( this is the semi downhill road section)

Has anyone else done a complete drivetrain change from a 9 speed triple to a 10 speed triple (or just double) on the same frame, and what are your opinions on it?

It looks like most 10 speed XT stuff is just cheaper than the 9 speed XT stuff nowadays as well, and I can only imagine it getting worse as time goes on and 9 speed becomes more obsolete.

Thanks in advance.
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You could do the 9 speed with some preloved parts for a lot less, but if you want to go Xx10 then go for it, given your gearing needs it sounds like you need a triple up front - I'd consider 48/36/26 as you almost certainly dont need a 22T granny? That can be 9 or 10 speed, chain, cassette, no need for a new front mech, rear mech and shifters, you can get reasonable money by selling the old parts of course!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Thanks for the info. Following a good dig about the forum, and depending on the final outcome, i'm thinking i might put the insurance money towards a Btwin Rockrider 520 instead, and scouring a few forums to get some second hand parts.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...