Tuesday tech tale

reformedfatty
reformedfatty Posts: 543
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
As ever a popular national chain of bike shops is involved.

Colleague manages to bend the brake disc on a basic but serviceable mtb, its now hard to pedal due to the disc rubbing. Asks my advice. Bend it back says I.

They try, but the disc is still wonky - it's not too bad now but still annoying. Colleague decides to take it to <retailer> for them to have a look.

I have solved the problem they say, whilst presenting a bill.

It's still not right my colleague says to me. Relenting, I suggest they bring it in for me to have a look.

The <retailer> solution to a bent brake disc rubbing is apparently to adjust the cable (forget to mention - cable discs) so that the pads are miles apart when the brake is released. The fact that the brakes don't engage until the lever is against the bar is fine! after all you've solved the problem of the brakes rubbing!

£8 for a new disc and 15 minutes of my time to swap the disc, realign the caliper and adjust the cable and it's solved.

You'd think fixing bikes properly was hard or something... :?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Will be an E or an H for sure!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chuase05
    chuase05 Posts: 23
    Some people shouldn't be allowed to work with bikes scary sometime what people think is ok for repairs seen some really random fixes through my workshop
    Dmr Transition 26"
    Giant Anthem 27.5 SX
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
    Cannondale Chase
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    suprised they didn't just remove the disc, problem solved! ;-)