Front brake judder.

milleman
milleman Posts: 181
edited July 2015 in Workshop
After some advice please

Purchased a set of Dura Ace C24 rims for my Van Nicholas, great rims and considerably lighter than the previous Mavics but there is considerable brake judder from the front.

If I clean the front pads with a solvent and use a bit of fine emery tape to clean them then the judder goes for a few miles but then returns.

I have checked the head set bearings and there is no play there, any ideas how I can cure this or is it a case of asking for a replacement front wheel?

Thanks.

Comments

• Zerotails99
    Zerotails99 Posts: 127
    Which part is juddering? Possibly wheel not true or caliper not aligned or loose.

Or get some new brakes to go with your new wheels
  • milleman
    Changed the Groupset at the same time, pads are new.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,035
    Googled it and it appears to be an issue with some sets of these wheels - I'd return them
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    Googled it and it appears to be an issue with some sets of these wheels - I'd return them

Not only the C24's, my C50's were refunded under warranty for exactly the same reason, no questions asked, I wasn't even offered a replacement pair...after doing some digging it appears both the C24 and C50 suffer from the same problem.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • milleman
    Thanks for the replies

Will get onto the supplier.
  • milleman
    Returned the front wheel to the supplier, response was along the lines of "very sorry, unusual fault etc etc", new wheel sent by return so can't complain too much there.

However, after 250 miles the replacement wheel is going exactly the same way as the original, there is a distortion on the rim exactly 180degrees from the valve hole which is where the rim is welded when manufactured.

Have I just been unlucky and Shimano have a batch of suspect wheels, or can anyone think of another reason why this is happening?

I have a set of the cheaper Shimano WH81 C24 rims on another bike and they have been great, wondering whether I should return the Dura Ace C24 wheelset and ask for a set of those and a refund.

Thoughts appreciated.