Where to go for weekend

JohnLarke
JohnLarke Posts: 51
edited June 2015 in Tour & expedition
Hi all, unfortunately due to tragic circumstances me and my mate had to pull out of the Wales Velothon as we were driving to it and come straight back home :(

My mate feels bad (although he shouldn't) so wants us to go away for a weekend in the UK on him. I want it to be good and would be looking at driving there the Friday night, doing something like a 70-90 miler on the Saturday and maybe a smaller 30-40 on the sunday am before coming home.

Does anyone have any ideas of somewhere in the UK with good riding abundant, not too many main roads, lovely scenery etc? I live in as far east as you can go in East Anglia so anywhere will have more hills but we are not worried about that, just want to have a good couple of rides.

Any ideas, pre-set routes people have done would be appreciated. We will more than likely just stay in a Travelodge type place and can drive to the start of the route if need be if not accessible from our accommodation.

Thanks

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,002
    Peak district? Not a million miles away and some outstanding scenery and plenty of B&B's.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Mid - North wales if your feeling fit?

http://www.plotaroute.com/routeplanner

A few routes on the link for your perusal and Bala is a good starting point if that's convenient?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • JohnLarke
    JohnLarke Posts: 51
    thanks guys, I was just thinking the peak district, can get there in 4 hours and I have holidayed there before, always stay near bakewell so know the area quite well. its a bit nearer than wales so think I will try there, thanks again, much appreciated