Reducing rear disc brake cable guides?

robb_o
robb_o Posts: 332
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Have not posted on this forum for YEARS.
Recently starting to get back into proper mountain biking again and need to smarten up my Orange G2 bike that I threw together years ago...

First thing that's been annoying me since I bought it... the disc brake cable guides/mounts for the rear brake. I run V brakes. I've run a straight outer cable through the guides HELD ON WITH ZIP TIES AROUND THE TOP TUBE.

Looks rubbish, and without the zip ties the cable would just pop out of the guides.

I can't find anything on Google on how to reduce the size of the guides to V brake size so I can eliminate needing zip ties.

Help please?

I will try and upload a photo later if needed. Cheers.

Comments

• robb_o
    Just realised I've got some photos on my phone already, not actual close ups of the problem but you still get the idea...

photo.jpg

photos.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You just need the same sleeve fitting that would be fitted to a hydraulic hose to make it fit the guide, the hose and cable have the same OD.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd go under the ones already guided.

Have a look at this

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/how-to-make-your-own-cable-guides-video-44483/
  • The Rookie
    Just some of these would be neater!
    stumpy_fsr_04_hose_big.jpg
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    Just some of these would be neater!
    stumpy_fsr_04_hose_big.jpg

+1, those should sort it
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The picture is pretty shite but it doesn't look like there are any grooves for it to slot into - but I may be wrong as you can't really see.
  • jb72
    jb72 Posts: 12
    Usually the brake disc hose would be held on by hose clips. It's difficult to tell from the picture ... will the frame take clips? It looks like the seat stay will accept them - are they on the top tube?
  • The Rookie
    They look just like oversized guides designed to use a sleeve to hold the cable in, slot in the top of the guide just wide enough to push the cable into?
  • robb_o
    Thanks for the replies so far, you've helped me discover these...

http://jagwire.com/products/v/Stoppers_Loop_Guides

Not sure if they are actually right or not, but it's definitely on the right path.
    As you can see there are 2 types, one that will allow straight through cable housing, and I think the other one will turn the cable into the same as the others where exposed cable runs along my top tube.

Found an image of one fitted...
    download.jpg

And I've taken some close up photos of mine, the seat stay tubes do have the clip on guides but the top tube doesn't...

photo_3.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_1.jpg
  • The Rookie
    That's what you need, yes.