Cervelo R2

shinsplint
shinsplint Posts: 565
edited July 2015 in Your road bikes
My long awaited R2.

105 with Ultegra chainset and brakes, and Mavic Ksyrium SLS wheels.

Steerer to be chopped soon ...

20150613_152513_zpsfeqr568n.jpg

20150613_152615_zpsehqkjfnt.jpg

20150613_152640_zpsikrsk8iz.jpg

20150613_152706_zpskxgmpcsu.jpg

Comments

• sanspoof
    sanspoof Posts: 111
    My long awaited R2.

Lovely!! Great job!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    There is something about that bike that sings to me in a sweet and enticing voice. I am sorely tempted to buy one and flip my campag gear and decent wheels onto it. I'll certainly be interested to hear your thoughts on how it rides and what it replaced. Very nice indeed. a 56 I guess?
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Love the wheels. :wink:
  • shinsplint
    There is something about that bike that sings to me in a sweet and enticing voice. I am sorely tempted to buy one and flip my campag gear and decent wheels onto it. I'll certainly be interested to hear your thoughts on how it rides and what it replaced. Very nice indeed. a 56 I guess?

Calpol,

I've changed from a Felt F5 (58cm) to the R2 in size 56.

It rides super smooth. There was not much I didnt like about the F5, but I always wanted a Cervelo. I'm off out for a hilly ride in the moors later, so will report back.

You'll do well to find a shop who'll do you the frameset only though, as Cervelo only ship the R2 with the bits. But to be fair, you could probably sell the 105 kit on without much of a loss.

Yes 6wheels, very happy with the wheels :wink:
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Lovely bike .... Love my Cervelo R2

I've been toying with changing the wheels for a little while and have Kysriums on the list, they certainly look the part!
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • shinsplint
    Lovely bike .... Love my Cervelo R2

I've been toying with changing the wheels for a little while and have Kysriums on the list, they certainly look the part!

The Ksyrium SLS tick all the boxes for me, light, strong, and from what I gather reliable.

Although i'd be lying if I said I didnt buy them as i'd seen an R2 with them on haha.
  • Philly8mt
    Ha ha ... They do look "right" :)

I'm running the std RS10's at the moment, but feel like I could get just a little bit more out of the bike tbh.
    I've just broken my collarbone and I'm gutted to be missing out on the good weather & my R2 ... Enjoy!
  • Philly8mt
    I've just seen the new, alternative colour for 2015 .... Battleship grey and orange highlights.
    Our white ones still look soooo much better.
    Kind of pure :)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    edited July 2015
  • shinsplint
    I've just seen the new, alternative colour for 2015 .... Battleship grey and orange highlights.
    Our white ones still look soooo much better.
    Kind of pure :)

Yeh I had the choice, but I hadnt seen the grey one in the flesh.

Very happy with my choice. As with most things, it looks so much better in reality than the stock photos.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Highly rated, would love to try one, one day.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • shinsplint
    Well having covered a 66 mile route around the North York moors on Tuesday, I can give a brief report.

Firstly one of the biggest differences is having gone back to a compact for the hills. For a few years i've been on a standard or semi compact. The easier gearing makes the climbs so much more manageable and enjoyable.

The frame itself though is superb. It absorbs the rough stuff like nothing else i've ridden. My Kinesis T2 winter bike is pretty good in this department, but the Cervelo is better still. I think its largely down the thin seat stays.

I've also gone back to 42cm bars which I feel in more control of. The bike just generally fits me better, and with the Ultegra brakes i'm a lot more confident on the twisty descents.

We went down a long descent to Rosedale which was unfortunately covered in loose chippings. I kept my speed ride down but still heard the nasty chipping sounds :o Having inspected the frame though it remains perfect. Just shows the sort of quality of the paint work.

Honestly feels and looks like a much more expensive bike. An absolute bargain IMO.

I'm sure the Ksyrium SLS' play a big part in the ride as well though.

The only thing that doesnt suit me is the saddle, but I will be putting my Selle Italia on very soon.

Hope that helps anyone thinking about a Cervelo R2.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I've a 2011 Felt F5 and also love Cervelo's and seriously considering one next year, I absolutely love my F5 so how are they in comparison? I think the R2 has slightly less aggressive geometry but not sure?
  • shinsplint
    I've a 2011 Felt F5 and also love Cervelo's and seriously considering one next year, I absolutely love my F5 so how are they in comparison? I think the R2 has slightly less aggressive geometry but not sure?

Felt F5 is probably a tad stiffer, so maybe has the edge in a circuit race. But thats not to say the Cervelo is a slouch ! I've had a few Felt bikes and whilst they're very stiff, they're a harsh ride. I doubt i've lost any speed at all with the Cervelo. I think with it being so comfy it maybe gives the perception that its not as stiff, if that makes sense.

Geometry : My Felt was a size 58, with the stem near the top of the steerer. Any lower and I would suffer with my neck. With the geometry of the R series I was expecting to slam the stem on the Cervelo right down, but with it being a 56 it is actually only about half way. I am going to try and lower it a bit and make sure its right before I get the steerer chopped.

I had a few niggles with the F5, but I think it was just aged cables to be honest, as not too long ago it was almost silent. I'm still a big fan of the F series. The reasons I changed is I just really fancied an R series as its so good in the hills, I wanted a more up to date frame with internal cabling, 11 speed, and just a general update.

The latest 11 speed 105 shifts so much better. You only need a tiny nudge of the shifter, and its so quiet you would swear it hasnt actually changed gear some times. The micro adjustment of the front mech is very good. The extra gear means you don't have a horrible big jump between gears, and when climbing this is so much better.

I've ordered a KMC X11EL to finish it off, then i'm done.... until I crack and go full Ultegra :lol:
  • ledeev
    ledeev Posts: 208
    What is an R2? It's a new one on me. Is it the old R3 frame with 105?
  • Philly8mt
    What is an R2? It's a new one on me. Is it the old R3 frame with 105?

It's the current R3 frame with the new 11 speed 105, comes with Shimano RS10 wheels as std.

Ooooh, forgot to add ... It has a different fork to the R3. It uses the "mud" fork (or variant of), which gives more tyre clearance. I've got 25mm Conti gp4000 s11's on mine and there is plenty of room.

Bloody great bike tbh :)
  • craig-sr
    craig-sr Posts: 4
    I bought one a couple of months ago and love it. Still stock at the minute but I'm not in a rush to upgrade anything at the minute. Going for a bike fit on Monday so I will take it from there. I had to replace the fork due to the paint chipping off but didn't have to wait long for it to turn up

Only slight downside is keeping it clean!
  • Philly8mt
    Anyone purchased the grey version and want to post pictures? Not seen one in the wild yet.
  • kukui
    kukui Posts: 5
    How tall are you that you decided to exchange 58cm frame to 56cm? Are you really happy with your new bike? I want to buy Cervelo R2 or Cannondale Carbon Synapse 5, just can't decide which is better choice...
  • shinsplint
    How tall are you that you decided to exchange 58cm frame to 56cm? Are you really happy with your new bike? I want to buy Cervelo R2 or Cannondale Carbon Synapse 5, just can't decide which is better choice...

I'm 6ft 1.

I didn't change the bike for the size though if thats what you mean. It just so happens that the geometry of these two bikes are quite different.

Yes, i'm very happy. Best bike i've had !
  • Philly8mt

I mirror shinsplints comment ... Also 6'1 and I'm very comfortable on my size 56 R2.
  • craig-sr
    I done about 400 miles and the bottom bracket started to creak - the bearings have been regreased but won't last and will need replacing.

Has anyone had the same problem?
  • Philly8mt
    I done about 400 miles and the bottom bracket started to creak - the bearings have been regreased but won't last and will need replacing.

Nope! No problems so far .... May be worth popping on the Cervelo forum for advice though?
  • shinsplint

No creaks at all so far. The Cervelo frames comes with a lifetime warranty though so you should be fine.

You're probably aware, but a lot of creaks can come from various other places, and IMO experience its often pedals/cleats. I was adamant my BB was goosed on my last bike, changed it and no difference. Was my rear wheel hub.
  • craig-sr

No creaks at all so far. The Cervelo frames comes with a lifetime warranty though so you should be fine.

You're probably aware, but a lot of creaks can come from various other places, and IMO experience its often pedals/cleats. I was adamant my BB was goosed on my last bike, changed it and no difference. Was my rear wheel hub.

My saddle caused a creak when I first got it but stopped after tightening it up.

I thought it was something else but he checked the bearings and they were dry, the mechanic had to regrease them and the creaking stopped. He said the BB30 bottom brackets aren't very good. Was speaking to someone I know who has a R3 and he had a similar problem. Might have been the extreme heat last week when I was in Belgium/France that accelerated it.
  • I bought one a couple of months ago and love it. Still stock at the minute but I'm not in a rush to upgrade anything at the minute. Going for a bike fit on Monday so I will take it from there. I had to replace the fork due to the paint chipping off but didn't have to wait long for it to turn up

Only slight downside is keeping it clean!

Hi Craig:

I have had similar issue with the R2 fork....
  • As recent Cervelo colourways go, that isn't too bad at all. Lovely bike OP.
  • shinsplint
    As recent Cervelo colourways go, that isn't too bad at all. Lovely bike OP.

Can't argue with that - not a fan of a lot of the new colours, especially the weird top tube thing.

But I love the white :D
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    My long awaited R2.

http://d2ride.co.uk/Road-Bikes.php

Lovely!! Great job!

ditto