Steering issue

jon3619
jon3619 Posts: 75
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello I have noticed I have a pulling sensation when riding on long stretches, it's as if the bike is trying to steer itself. I also noticed the front wheel moves to one side when breaking (disc brake) are these issues connected? The handle bars move loosely when moving them off the ground side to side. Could it be to do with the quick release front wheel? The pulling sensation is only a little bit

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hello I have noticed I have a pulling sensation when riding on long stretches, it's as if the bike is trying to steer itself. I also noticed the front wheel moves to one side when breaking (disc brake) are these issues connected? The handle bars move loosely when moving them off the ground side to side. Could it be to do with the quick release front wheel? The pulling sensation is only a little bit

Cheers
    You have to check everything, is the frame or forks bent, are both wheels seated properly in the dropouts, are the skewers tight and the wheels moving in the dropouts. What you describe usually happens when the two wheels are not in line properly.

Not sure what you mean by the bars moving loosely, they should be free turning but not by any normal usage of the word loose.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    poor spoke tension.

have the wheels looked at.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jon3619
    jon3619 Posts: 75
    I have looked at the frame and fork, I can't see any bending, what I mean by loose is the handlebars are not stiff to turn and I can't hear any resistance to suggest bearings going, my first thought was the headset but then I noticed the wheel moving slightly towards the disc brake when braking. Could my skewers be too tight causung resistance on the steering?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Skewers can't be too tight, unless they snap. See nicklouse suggestion.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    Long shot, but check for a broken axle.