Storing bike with flat tyre, or pump attached?

notnot
notnot Posts: 284
edited June 2015 in Workshop
In my latest moment of genius, I was pumping my tyres before going on holiday. I broke the valve on the rear tube, and don't have a spare :roll: It's not holding any air. I'm away till the end of the week, and my options seem to be:
- leave the tyre flat. Is any damage likely in a week?
- pump up the tyre with a Joe Blow track pump and store with the pump still attached (so it keeps the air in). The pump feels solid, but I'd worry about coming back to a blown pump and a flat tyre.

What's the best option?

Comments

• notnot
    Thanks - good idea! In that case, I'd need to lay the whole bike on its side (don't have a bike stand or similar). Should I just do that with the wheel still attached? And this should be OK for a week?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Thanks - good idea! In that case, I'd need to lay the whole bike on its side (don't have a bike stand or similar). Should I just do that with the wheel still attached? And this should be OK for a week?

Yup, the only issue is if the rim is pressing on the inside of the tyre, as long as the pressure it off it, it'll be fine.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd just go on holiday and forget about it. Nothing's going to happen to it while you're away.
  • notnot
    Thanks - leaving the bike on its side, lying on its handlebars for a week shouldn't cause any problems with other bits? Sorry - imagine that's a daft question, but doing my best impression of a headless check at the moment while getting ready!

And, yeah, sure I'll forget about it quite quickly when I am away :D
  • notnot
    In a not-unrelated question, where's good for a couple of cheap tubes and some tyre levers now..?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Thanks - leaving the bike on its side, lying on its handlebars for a week shouldn't cause any problems with other bits? Sorry - imagine that's a daft question, but doing my best impression of a headless check at the moment while getting ready!

No of course not, get yourself away.
  • notnot
    Happily on my way now - thanks :) Any recs for tyre levers? Managed to break most of my previous lot, so some not-rubbish ones would be a good idea :)