So who's crossed to the Disc Darkside ?

zak3737
zak3737 Posts: 370
edited June 2015 in Road general
Just curious as more bikes seem to appear with Discs, and more no doubt next year, - who on here already uses them ?
If so, have any of you had any issues at all ? Or is it all positive ?

I guess its the regular slight rubbing that occurred regularly on my MTB discs, but is this a problem not appearing on good Road discs ?

(ps - I am NOT trying to start a Disc v Caliper debate ! )

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,382
    CX bike rather than pure road bike but the same as far as this is concerned.
    Started with BB7s. Fiddly to set up but fine once done, needed adjustment to compensate for pad wear and had slight pulsing on back brake when slowing down gently. Feel not great though.
    Got a stupidly cheap ex-demo Parabox set up, cable to hydraulic convertor that gos under the stem. Again a bit of a faff to set up but that was becasue whoever removed it was a butcher not a mechanic. Since getting it set up and bled I haven't had to touch it. Hydraulic compensates for pad wear automatically, powerful braking with good feel whatever the weather. Now the front pads are getting quite worn they are rattling in the calipers over bumps a little, not a big problem.
    Full hydraulics would be even better I should think. Interesting article I read somewhere that in gritty wet conditions Shimano brakes lasted better than Sram that wore out very quickly.
    Not had the slight rubbing issue, don't get it on my MTB either though.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you set decent hydraulic disc brakes up by eye unless there is a real issue such as a bent rotor or damaged pad etc. You shouldn't get any rub. On a road bike rubbing disc brakes would get irritating.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Got a 'CX' bike with discs on C2W this time last year, added guards and rack for the occaisonal commute ride but for longer day rides when I have the time and urge. My main commute SS bike has a disc brake up front now.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    had disks on my road/tourer for 5 years. occasional rubbing but nothing like i get on my mtb on a wet, gritty ride.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Kinesis Tripster here with TRP Spyres. Not an exaggeration to say it's a revelation, though there are further improvements that could be made, I think I'd like to go to hydraulic for that plush feeling I remember from my hydraulic equipped Specialized MTB from years back.

No pad wear issues on the Tripster, I do get a slight pulsing on the rear brake as described by another poster.

Would I go back to rim brakes? LOL as if.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,052
    Im still on standard calipers but thats only because I* can't justify a new bike yet, but one I can it WILL have discs.

*In other words, the mrs...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Another happy spyre user here,fitted to a Planet X XLS;no issues with disc rub once set-up and only occasionally have to adjust the pads when swapping wheels.

Other two road bikes have rim brakes(planet x and ultegra) and have no problems with them either;discs are much better in the wet though.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • zak3737
    edited June 2015
    Sounds all positive so far, which is good to hear. I agree that for dry use, and particularly here in the relatively rolling area of East Yorks, rim brakes are more than adequate.
    However, on a ride like I had on sun am, in constant rain, discs would have been a bonus !
    Plus, there is something aesthetically much better (to me) about Disc braked bikes, the lack of brake track on the wheels and hence all black rims etc.

I just recall that on my MTB, very regular 'ting ting ting'ing of one or other of the discs used to annoy the feck out of me, and on a road bike, would be even more irritating, but seems thats not occuring :-)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Not yet but it's imminent and it will be a hydraulic set up. :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I have 3, all discs. Discs are immensely satisfying. They even give of a nice thrum when you brake into a corner.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I have a hardtail with hydraulic discs (lovely off-road). I was slow to go over to disc and did so only because most nice machinery was so-equipped.

For anything used primarily on tarmac, I'd resent the weight gain and cannot in the last 20 years recall an occasion when my caliper brakes felt inadequate in terms of retardation, feel or fade on tarmac - apart from on a series of scary descents, but I'd resent the weight of the disc getting to the top of those descents - and anyway it's possible to 'ration' brake use.

For cars and motorcycles, I am a solid proponent of hydraulic discs. Rear drums are fine on an old motorcycle, but discs just make it all easier.

For cars, the biggest bonus of discs is when it's time to change them. Ten minutes in suit and tie rather than getting all mucky and skinning your knuckles and shouting rude words.

But for most bicycles.... really?
  • dodgy
    [quote="Debeli
    But for most bicycles.... really?[/quote]

If tomorrow, an engineer invented the rim brake and when questioned was asked "so you use a structural part of the wheel to brake on, which will eventually wear away?".

The design would be laughed out of existence.

Not sure what it is about us roadies, I've seen it all before:

STI gears? My downtube shifters are fine
    Carbon frames? What's wrong with my steel frame
    10 speed? My sturmey archer is just fine
    Etc.
  • zak3737

But for most bicycles.... really?

Which part of the last line of my original post did you not understand ?!
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    CX bike used in road guise with full hydraulics - absolutely stunning in the wet compared to rim brakes and bloody great in the dry too.

Love them, have had zero problems, would highly, highly recommend (and they will only get better as time goes on i.e. for you weight/aero/cost weenies)
  • kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    SS cable for commute and full hydraulic Di2 for best bike.

Would not go back ever.

Wet, muddy descent in peaks with discs is so much more enjoyable than on rim brakes.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I'm not against them, I'd consider a bike with them as my next bike. I quite like them on my mountain bikes in fact- but then they're completely different. My only concerns really are related to them in races, I'd not like to get on the wrong side of one in a crash, from experiences with mtb brakes they get hot incredibly quickly and being rather thing and metally can leave you with some tasty scars.

Also, do the roadie ones sound as horrible as mtb ones when it's wet and dirty out? I don't mind the squealing when braking, it's more when it's wet and I'm pedalling along and have splashed a bit of dirt around I just hear them grating and grinding as you go.
  • dodgy
    I don't understand the "discs are hot and will be dangerous in a crash" angle.

If that was a concern we'd outlaw cassettes and chainrings, maybe enforce shielding over them. Spokes, too, maybe make them of a material that is thicker and less likely to slice fingers off.

There's a lot more I'm worried about in a crash than discs, maybe hitting one with your hand is a better option that putting your fingers between the spokes, if you look at it that way, discs are a safety aid ;)
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I'm not against them, I'd consider a bike with them as my next bike. I quite like them on my mountain bikes in fact- but then they're completely different. My only concerns really are related to them in races, I'd not like to get on the wrong side of one in a crash, from experiences with mtb brakes they get hot incredibly quickly and being rather thing and metally can leave you with some tasty scars.

Also, do the roadie ones sound as horrible as mtb ones when it's wet and dirty out? I don't mind the squealing when braking, it's more when it's wet and I'm pedalling along and have splashed a bit of dirt around I just hear them grating and grinding as you go.

Mine are pretty/totally silent in the wet - especially compared to rim brakes. And yeah, as the guy above said, cassettes and chainrings...
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Disc brakes are the future. Like many things there will be happy naysayers.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,052
    /thread.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    There's a lot more I'm worried about in a crash than discs, maybe hitting one with your hand is a better option that putting your fingers between the spokes, if you look at it that way, discs are a safety aid ;)
    I think people have lopped the ends off fingers with discs whilst working on bikes.
    53228d1107115446-alcohol-disc-brakes-%3D-finger-amputation-100_0046.jpg
    There is a thread on singletrack world with more gruesome pictures.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    My mates just got disks on his new cross bike - he loved them to begin with - but after one ride the back brake wasn't strong enough to lock the wheel up ? I'm guessing this is a set up thing and they don't fade away half way through a ride.

I'm happy with rim brakes at the moment but I'd certainly consider them if I hear more positive experiences.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    Got Shimano Road Hydraulic set up. It is awful compared with rim brakes. Not really
  • veronese68
    I would say both of the above have some problem as that is not how they should be.
    If the back brake started strong and then faded something has either moved or the pad got contaminated with something.
    The other one it's impossible to say why with so little information. Have they been fitted properly, is their air in the system, have the pads bedded in, has oil got onto the pads? Could be a number of things, almost certainly involving incompetence at some point. Edit: Probably on my part as I need to get my eyes tested. :oops:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Got Shimano Road Hydraulic set up. It is awful compared with rim brakes. Not really

PMSL!

Volagi Liscio for 4 years - disc brakes are fabulous. I have a Scott Foil here in NL because it was cheap and I don't need brakes that actually work most of the time so rims are fine. That said, I rode in Limburg in the wet last weekend on the Foil - fork I missed the discs - rim brakes are terrible in comparison.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • zak3737
    As the OP, and a long time user of MTB's, even over in the Alps, I KNOW how good & much better Discs are than Rim brakes, so need no convincing there.
    Its more a curiosity if anyone was having any issues at all, rubbing discs etc, - but perhaps on road bikes, the discs are virtually giaranteed to never get knocked while riding, and so same issues are not happening.
    Plus, perhaps bike disc manufacturers have improved piston performances in discs, so sticking pistons on hydraulics are less common too ?
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    fixed the problem. had forgot to install rotors.
    no wonder i couldn't tell the difference with rim brakes!
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    As the OP, and a long time user of MTB's, even over in the Alps, I KNOW how good & much better Discs are than Rim brakes, so need no convincing there.
    Its more a curiosity if anyone was having any issues at all, rubbing discs etc, - but perhaps on road bikes, the discs are virtually giaranteed to never get knocked while riding, and so same issues are not happening.
    Plus, perhaps bike disc manufacturers have improved piston performances in discs, so sticking pistons on hydraulics are less common too ?

Road discs benefit from years of R & D done by the MTB side so most things have been ironed out already. I think once the industry has given up on single piston designs like the BB7, any "problems" associated with disc brakes can only be put down to poor installation.
  • veronese68
    any "problems" associated with disc brakes can only be put down to poor installation.
    Or poor maintenance, using spray lube near a disc is a bad idea. But agree with you in principle.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    any "problems" associated with disc brakes can only be put down to poor installation.
    Or poor maintenance, using spray lube near a disc is a bad idea. But agree with you in principle.

True. Without wanting to derail the thread, a lot is said about contaminating disc brake pads. Can the same not be said of rim brake pads?