Knee Protection - where to start?

james22b2
james22b2 Posts: 132
edited June 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi
I am after some knee protection but don´t want anything too heavy, hot or cumbersome - I have never bought any before so what types are available?
Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For what sort of riding, full on DH would usually mean a different level of protection (and different priorities in terms of weight and comfort) to some moderately hard and fast trail centre riding for example.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I'd be interested in this too. Mainly trails through woods, pretty much XC.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • james22b2
    For what sort of riding, full on DH would usually mean a different level of protection (and different priorities in terms of weight and comfort) to some moderately hard and fast trail centre riding for example.

Thanks. I think moderate trails, rather than full on DH, something to add confidence but not full armour yet.. so comfort over max protection and weight?
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Bought the 661 Comp knee pads recently for £22 and though they've not been tested in a fall, they're a good fit, comfy for hours on the trails and I rapidly forgot I was wearing them.
  • james22b2
    What are the different types of knee protection available?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    CRC will have a whole lot with descriptions.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I have these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dainese-trail-skins-knee-guard-2015/rp-prod118469

They are light, not bulky. aren't too hot and have saved my knees a few times.

Too bad I wasn't wearing them on my road bike the other day when I forgot to unclip!

Ben
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    + 1 as above, tried different knee pads 661, fox, TLD, but Dainese are very comfy and not to hot, wish they were on my ribs when I came off 2 weeks a go, knees were fine rids not quite as good :(
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    I tried Fox enduro but they were agony.

Now using IXS and they are way better, they only use one strap and the leg sleeve is much soft.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have 661 rage knee pads and definitely wouldn't recommend them. I also have the old 661 knee pads which were better but still find them horribly uncomfortable over any distance so only use them for downhill
  • Oldfield
    Oldfield Posts: 32
    I really like the Race Face Ambush pads.