Garmin 810 or 1000??

graememacd
graememacd Posts: 386
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking at getting a new GPS soon and I like the look of both the Garmin 810 and 1000. I'm sure the 810 will cover all bases as a GPS and navigational tool but is the 1000 that much better?? obviously it's bigger and has a few more options on it. Does anyone have experience of both of these?

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I've had both, the 1000 has some bells and whistles that I ended up disabling due to their unreliability. I'm now in possession of a device that cost more than the 810 but with similar features :)

I've bought my last Garmin device, I'm hoping someone brings out an android based bike computer with built in GSM modem for the live update stuff.
  • Dom.C
    Dom.C Posts: 18
    I've had a Garmin 800 for a couple of years now and it's been excellent. Haven't used the 1000 or 810 but I think it's worth considering whether or not you'll use any of the additional features. The 800 and 810 are very similar and given that Garmin tend to finish products a few years after releasing them it’s probably the most reliable of all three units.

That was my thinking when I bought the 800 rather than the 810.
  • graememacd
    I've had a Garmin 800 for a couple of years now and it's been excellent. Haven't used the 1000 or 810 but I think it's worth considering whether or not you'll use any of the additional features. The 800 and 810 are very similar and given that Garmin tend to finish products a few years after releasing them it’s probably the most reliable of all three units.

That was my thinking when I bought the 800 rather than the 810.

I might have a look at the 800 also then. Is it possible to upload routes to your phone via Bluetooth with the 800??
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    No, that was one of the upgrades on the 810 not previously on the 800. Everything through a cable I'm afraid but it's really not much hassle. I love my 800 although I nearly lost patience with it before finding out how to get the best out of it. Now I would be lost without it, literally on occasions!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    800 owner of 4 years plus.

It's been faultless in that time and provides more information than I need and Garmin Connect is a decent platform but for plotting routes I use http://www.plotaroute.com/routeplanner

I''d advise a forward mount rather than the supplied mount which sits on your stem. The distance isn't much but its easier to use!
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    I have the 1000. The reason i went for this is because of create a route function. You tell the device how far you want to travel and it automatically gives you three routes with varying levels of climbing for you to choose from. Really handy if you do not know the area or even if you just want to be taken on a route without thinking. I bought it from;
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/garmin-edge-1000-navigation-system-209076?currency=3&delivery_country=190&gclid=CJzYwLOnksYCFUzLtAodtxgA1w

It was at the time only £270 so a decent deal also.
  • graememacd
    Thanks for the replies all. Still not sure but leaning towards the 1000
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I've had a 705, 500 and since it was released the 1000. The 1000 is certainly Garmin's best bike GPS yet but it still has it's flaws (mostly battery life but screen resolution could be improved and some features could be added). If I already had an 800 or 810 I probably wouldn't upgrade to a 1000 but unless money was tight I'd probably go for a 1000 over an 810 if buying a GPS for the first time
  • graememacd
    I've had a 705, 500 and since it was released the 1000. The 1000 is certainly Garmin's best bike GPS yet but it still has it's flaws (mostly battery life but screen resolution could be improved and some features could be added). If I already had an 800 or 810 I probably wouldn't upgrade to a 1000 but unless money was tight I'd probably go for a 1000 over an 810 if buying a GPS for the first time

The one thing that concerns me with the 1000 is i keep reading about the battery life. Although most of my rides are only between 1-4 hours I recently did a 3 day ride where I was out for 10 hours so there is the possibility of doing more rides like that
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332

The one thing that concerns me with the 1000 is i keep reading about the battery life. Although most of my rides are only between 1-4 hours I recently did a 3 day ride where I was out for 10 hours so there is the possibility of doing more rides like that

I went through 50% of battery life on a 6hr30min ride on Sunday. If you run all of the advanced features on the 1000 it uses battery faster than my 800 as a comparison. But it will do, it's powering a bigger, brighter screen, more GPS sensors, etc. By turning the screen brightness down, just running GPS, and deactivating Bluetooth/wifi, I think you can get battery life close-ish to an 800/810. More than 12 hours I think would be a push though.
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333

Was out on a ride the other week. I use the 1000 my pal had the 810. His ran out of juice after 10 hours the 1000 still had a bit of life in it.. Having said that his had the course plotted so that may have been the reason. Anyway 10 hours' isn't so bad I would have thought.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313

This is normally touted around by people who don't have a 1000 and want a reason to not upgrade.

It's a non issue.

I had an 800 before my 1000. The 1000 is in a different league with regards to screen resolution, Di2 connectivity, route plotting on the move, segments, altitude accuracy, general GPS accuracy and signal lock.

If you want one at a good deal... Handtec are the best price. Cycle Surgery will price match too, if you want to walk into a store and buy one. The cost over an 810 is negligible.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro