How late is too late to really go for it?

LJK94
LJK94 Posts: 18
edited June 2015 in Amateur race
I know this will probably open up a can of worms, and has probably been asked before on the forum but i could not find an answer easily.

What would be the 'too old' age for an amateur cyclist who has been cycling for a year or so with a couple of Cat 4 wins under my belt to decide, 'i could possibly make an attempt at making a career from cycling'. If pro cyclists peak at around 28-30, and take approx 5 years to develop, would a cyclist who is 21 now have missed the boat on the cycling career and should've decided earlier? Im most definitely not saying that i have the capacity to turn pro, but just think that it is an interesting concept to think about.

Cheers. 8)

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I know this will probably open up a can of worms, and has probably been asked before on the forum but i could not find an answer easily.

What would be the 'too old' age for an amateur cyclist who has been cycling for a year or so with a couple of Cat 4 wins under my belt to decide, 'i could possibly make an attempt at making a career from cycling'. If pro cyclists peak at around 28-30, and take approx 5 years to develop, would a cyclist who is 21 now have missed the boat on the cycling career and should've decided earlier? Im most definitely not saying that i have the capacity to turn pro, but just think that it is an interesting concept to think about.

Cheers. 8)

I wouldn't bother...pay is crap unless you really make it big (top of the pro peloton) you're career is over when your 35ish and you'll be away from home a lot assuming you make it to cont level. You're still young enough but (no offence) it's not hard to win in cat 4. You need to be winning consistently at Nat B level before you even think about making a 'career' out of it.

I'm 30 so I'll never be 'pro' but even if brailsford phoned me up tomorrow (which he wouldn't because I'm crap) I'd say no.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    No 21 is not too late if you have the talent. The problem you will have is that you will have to really commit yourself to it for a few years though with only a small chance of actually making it to a point where you can earn a living and an even smaller chance of that being a decent living.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If you keep at it... you might be a bit handy in Vets after 40.... sadly road racing may be on its a rse due to the UK's complete and utter world class at fckin things up between Police and Councils and permissions... oh yes BC sticking their oar in and making things worse... only saying this as July has seen 4 road races cancelled in our region.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    I am a believer that there is no such thing as being the wrong age, simply your either good enough or your not. If you are 16 and can win big races your good enough to go pro not too young likewise if your 50 and can win big races your good enough, not too old. They are both extremes but what I am saying is that starting at 21 isn't too old, if you have the capabilities to go pro riding full time for the next three years and you shouldn't be too far off conti and getting round tour of britain. I don't think George Harper who rides for One Pro has been riding all that long but went well in Tour de Yorkshire.

But like others have said there is a huge difference in winning a few 4th cat races and winning E12 races but better to try and fail than fail to try.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Make sure you have something to fall back on if you do decide to give it a go, that is where most of the guys doing it at half decent level in the UK, tour series and the like, will fall down. Making a pittance while doing the sport, then having to rely on being a bit part in a team when they're not strong enough to compete anymore, which I can only assume pays just as badly.

That is not to say don't do it of course, as many do, but have an idea of what else you can do if it doesn't work out, good luck!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • LJK94
    LJK94 Posts: 18
    I would hope i have something to fall back on as from september i will be going into my final year of an undergraduate degree. With only 2 days of lectures a week, leaving 5 days of the week open to training, which i believe will give me a big advantage over similiar competitors who have less time to train during the week.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Have a crack at it, don't neglect you're studies while you are doing so and see what happens. If you aren't good enough you will soon find out.
  • DavidJB
    I would hope i have something to fall back on as from september i will be going into my final year of an undergraduate degree. With only 2 days of lectures a week, leaving 5 days of the week open to training, which i believe will give me a big advantage over similiar competitors who have less time to train during the week.

Train smart, don't train long.
  • DeVlaeminck

I would say train smart and train long. The two guys I know that are doing similar both do shedloads - very hard to reach a high standard without a high volume but yes doing lots of unfocussed stuff is no good either.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If you think you are making progress.. then like a young person I know.... AFTER his law studies.. is now in Belgium racing for a small team full time last summer and again this season. .. also having a few contacts in the game can help.
  • DavidJB

I would say train smart and train long. The two guys I know that are doing similar both do shedloads - very hard to reach a high standard without a high volume but yes doing lots of unfocussed stuff is no good either.

All depends on the person...I did 16,000 miles of structured training a couple of years ago (15-17 hours a week) and got 10 points and dropped back to 3rd cat...I now do about 10,000 miles a year (10-12 hours a week) and got 140 points and a couple of wins last year...why? Fatigue from over training.

But hey who knows, maybe that huge block put me ahead for the next year ... as with anything training based it's very individual and hard to measure.

Personally I can't handle a large training load I just can't recover although really paying attention to nutrition has improved my recovery time but a large margin.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I think as per David, I too in the early days did too much, I rode hard or hardish every time I went out, I was never recovered as I was scared of a rest day. THAT SAID I think for those of us with jobs and such its probably harder to recover with big horus then it would be for a student or someone not working, and able to get a decent amount of kip each night.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • DavidJB
    I think as per David, I too in the early days did too much, I rode hard or hardish every time I went out, I was never recovered as I was scared of a rest day. THAT SAID I think for those of us with jobs and such its probably harder to recover with big horus then it would be for a student or someone not working, and able to get a decent amount of kip each night.

Long gone are the days for doing a 45 mile pre-race on a Sat! 20 min on the turbo or 30 min ride on the road...so much better!
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340

All depends on the person...I did 16,000 miles of structured training a couple of years ago (15-17 hours a week) and got 10 points and dropped back to 3rd cat...I now do about 10,000 miles a year (10-12 hours a week) and got 140 points and a couple of wins last year...why? Fatigue from over training.

But hey who knows, maybe that huge block put me ahead for the next year ... as with anything training based it's very individual and hard to measure.

Personally I can't handle a large training load I just can't recover although really paying attention to nutrition has improved my recovery time but a large margin.

But you only trained long not smart. I think you still need to do long rides to race long races but you don't need to be pressing on all day or be doing long rides every ride.
  • DeVlaeminck

I suppose it depends on your definition of "long". I'd agree with you that 10k a year is probably not too little for the OP to be doing this year.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    This is what makes me laugh about cycling. Guys 'only' riding 10-12 hours a week. Lol. I can never compete with that and to be honest I dont think I would want to. I love riding but the thought of 4 hour rides bores me stiff a lot of the time.
    Maybe thats why I am enjoying running at the moment. Its harder but for shorter durations and I dont have to worry about my shit race craft as I finish where I deserve to.