Cycle to Work - £1000

bigac
bigac Posts: 20
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Looking to get an MTB really soon but want to take advantage of CTW scheme through work. Trouble is i've found the bike i want and it is £1699. Do shops allow you to purchase the £1000 through CTW and then pay the rest yourself?

Comments

• carlwag
    carlwag Posts: 11
    Looking to get an MTB really soon but want to take advantage of CTW scheme through work. Trouble is i've found the bike i want and it is £1699. Do shops allow you to purchase the £1000 through CTW and then pay the rest yourself?

I've had a voucher with cyclescheme.co.uk and so have a few at work, Evans cycles, ribble and planet x all let u pay the difference and put it down that you have had a £1000 bike, so I think it will be down to the shop.

Carl
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's really down to your employer. They own the bike, you just lease it off them.

Check the rules of the scheme you are on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • carlwag
    It's really down to your employer. They own the bike, you just lease it off them.

Check the rules of the scheme you are on.

True however after the lease period you have options to buy it mine was £55 for the last one and just taking another out, a friend of mine got 2 bikes and all accessories which totalled £1000 and the shop put it down as a single bike, bear in mind we work for a massive company and they don't even check to see if you actually use it for work , a small company might be a different story.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm not arguing about who checks what, or what can be done, or even what will be done.

Just that there are rules, that the company still owns the bike and lets you have it at their option.

Somewhere along the line possible tax fraud comes into it as well.

Might be small amounts but...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • carlwag

The answer is most cycle shops will let you pay the difference it's up to you if you want to inform your employer

Carl