Wobbly tyre, straight rim.

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I had a bit of a mid race lie down today when I badly cased jump resulted in me getting bucked and then bouncing over the bars.
When I got back on I noticed a big kink in the front tyre and thought I had buckled a wheel. On inspection the wheel is true but the tyre isn't. I took off the tyre and refitted it. There is still a big deformation in the same place on the tyre (not the same place on the wheel).
Any idea what I have done to it?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Buy a new one
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Tyre, wheel or bike?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tyre, if the wheel is straight.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Tyre, wheel or bike?
    Everybody needs a new bike.
    I guess if the wheel is true and the tyre is seated evenly you must have damaged the threads in the carcass and it could go bang any time.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Any idea what I have done to it?

Fucked it.

Happy to help.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    If you take the tyre off, refit it, pump it up fully, let it down again, pump it up to a fairly soft state and then pinch the tyre and wobble it this way and that way all the way around (you're making absolutely certain that it's seated right) let it down and pump it up again . . . . and it's still like it, then it's busted. Get a new one. If the previous actions sorted it out, it just wasn't seated right.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Seen it happen more than once. Only way to fix it is to buy a new one. Continental's are the worst for it IME but others do it too.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Sounds like a busted tyre to me, i had a similar issue but there was visual damage to the tyre, like frayed fabric, but i suppose there isn't nessesarily any visible damage, and i had no deflation, if the structure /weave is busted, depending on the type of tyre it may have a robust outer skin which could hide structural damage.

I watched a documentary video about car tyre manufacturers a while back , and the building that goes into them is quite eye opening, they are not just rubber rings with some wire embedded for strength..

I'm not saying bike tyres are as heavily or strictly built as car tyres due to less forces involved, but it wouldn't surprise me if many of the same construction principles are applied to some extent on a smaller lighter scale for high quality branded bike tyres.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    busted tire, save some cash and buy a new one and make sure you dispose it, don't put it on the pile with the lightly used ones...
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut