Repairing wheels

jorgelopes
jorgelopes Posts: 35
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello.
Last week I spent 100 euros in the Mechanic just to repair my rear wheel.
Nos I decide to do the job myself in the front wheel. I find it very easy to desassemble the hub. My question now is this: is the bearing replacement suficient or do I have to replace more parts?
Thank you

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the hub, and if anything else might be worn.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you are repairing a buckle, then no point looking at the bearings at all, why do you think it needs repairing? (What symptoms).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jorgelopes
    jorgelopes Posts: 35
    When I desembled the front wheel hub I noticed a faulty bearing. I decided to repair it because the wheel was shaking in the hub. Despite the faulty bearing everything else seems ok. I purchased the bearings through ebay for 6usd each (I decided to replace both).
    Meanwhile I decided disassemble another pair of wheels (road) that I had abandoned in my garage (Fulcrum Race 6). When I noticed the rear and the front wheel shaking (yes, both at the same time, I live in a place with a lot of dirt and humidity) I took it to the shop and they told me (without even look at them) that each wheel needed a hub kit which cost 60 euros each. I found it too much and decided to buy a better set. Now after I disassemble both I found a faulty bearing in each, everything else looks ok. The bearing costs 3 eur. I've find this too easy and cheap that's why I asked this. Maybe the mechanics change everything just to be safe...