Crankset and Rear for a London - Barcelona route

Ulises8
Ulises8 Posts: 2
edited June 2015 in Tour & expedition
Hi Bikeradar!

I am new in the forum so please be gentle with me :)

I'm planning to cycle from London to Barcelona with my old Peugeot from the 90's but the only problem (so far) is that this bike has a 52-42t double cranckset and 24-15t at the back. Around a month ago I went from London to Brighton and there was a climb towards the end that was too much and I don't want this happening let's say for example at the Pyrenees :D .

Could you recommend me what to change taking into account price and how easy is to install? (I read that triple crancksets are harder to install).

Many thanks!!

Comments

• bronco016
    bronco016 Posts: 39
    Hi

I can't really help you with your technical question I'm afraid.

Have you planned a route presumably? 4 years ago I did a charity ride from Dinard to Barcelona and the vast majority of the terrain was essentially flat apart from the Pyrenees of course. Our route took us from Dinard-Nantes-La Rochelle-Bordeaux-Pau-Pyrenees-Barcelona. I guess your route may e quite similar??
    http://www.mallorcacyclinghotels.co.uk
    Cycling friendly accommodation in Mallorca
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    It should be relatively easy to change from a Double to a compact, but changing to a triple means changing the derailleur on the front along with the shifter, you will probably also need to change the rear derailiuer as well if you change to a triple.

And that is providing that you can still get a square taper BB and triple crankset, your basically looking at a whole new groupset.

So it might be better to change to a double and a longer derailuer.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills