First time with cleats

2»

Comments

• Can you slacken the pedals off too far, I don't want to dis-assemble them!

Also, knees still sore after initial experience, is getting a cleat fit done at LBS worthwhile?

Thanks
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Can you slacken the pedals off too far, I don't want to dis-assemble them!

Also, knees still sore after initial experience, is getting a cleat fit done at LBS worthwhile?

Thanks

Just turn the tension screw/dial until it won't turn anymore. It's not rocket science. As for seting up your cleats, there are various online guides telling you visually how to do this. If you can't do it yourself, then get it done professionally, as looking after your knees is paramount.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    First time out with Spd-SLs yesterday. How difficult should they be to unclip? I found I was having to make three attempts to force the unclip even after a couple of hours riding - not reassuring if I have to make a quick stop. I also found that the force of unclipping has skewed the cleats (meaning the toes ended up pointing slightly inwards) which is probably why my knees are sore today! I have unscrewed the tensioner by a couple of clicks on the pedals but this doesn't seem to have changed things much. And is it better to unclip at the top or bottom of the pedal cycle, or does it not matter?

Also, how tight should the cleat screws be, I was wary about over-tightening in case this damages the shoes?!

Thanks
    I used to have r540 pedals and I hated them, hard to get out of even harder to get in. In addition I would get sore knees. Went over to Time i-clic and now time xpresso, so much easier to get in and out of and never had any more knee trouble. The only thing is they are not as durable as the Shimano pedals but at the price you can get them for I don't mind replacing them every couple of years.
  • niallmo
    niallmo Posts: 103
    I've been using them for a couple of rides now, seem to have got used to it quite quickly and only gone over once which was lack of experience/foresight. For me it's been quite intuitive, probably because I used pedal clips beforehand.