Advice buying multi purpose bike

Benjamin1982
Benjamin1982 Posts: 3
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

In August I'm going to tour from Amsterdam to Barcelona and am right now exploring the several options for buying a bike.
Besides the tour to Barcelona, I'm a frequent road cyclist and also want to ride my bike in the winter in the forest/ mud tracks. My budget is somewhat limited (1500 euro's of so) and don't have the money to buy a touring bike, a CX or mountainbike and a road bike.
Taken all this in consideration; I'm thinking of buying the 2015 Kona Jake as this is basically a CX bike, which can also be used as a touring bike (I will be packing light to Barcelona) and as a road bike. So I'm told in each case.

Can you guys give me some advice on this? Is the Jake indeed also fitted for road rides? Are there certain disadvantages for road riding and touring? Maybe some other options in the price range? Buying a used bike?

Any advice is more than welcome!
Thanks!

Comments

• bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    I don't know much about touring, but I've seen loads of others using Surly bikes, in particular the Trucker. Maybe check them out?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    The Kona Jake looks like a good compromise to cover all the duties you want it to cover. For off road tracks you could consider getting some grippier tyres but for road touring/commuting etc you could stick with some 25/28mm slicks.

Another potential candidate which will cover the same bases as the Kona is the Genesis Equilibrium 10 Disc

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Genesis-Equilibrium-Disc-10-2015-Road-Bike_72804.htm?sku=227088&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CN22jJTnjsYCFQoHwwodnoUAJw#

It has the mudguard and rack mounts you would need and can also take up to 28mm tyres for the more off road escapades.
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    Gt grade gets brilliant reviews and would do each job
  • Thanks guys!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,881
    A Rose bike would likely fulfill your requirements, and be pretty customisable.
    For example you can go for different length stems, gearing and even spec heavier duty wheels should you think they are required.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Just replied to this in another thread...

Planet X London Road- there's a Tiagra version. They don't call it a cross bike but seems close. Also in the UK Merlin Cycles have their own brand of disc cross bikes which look good too.

GT grade bikes look great, great reviews & come in at a range of prices. Should be easily available? Might be your best bet?

I like Kona Jake & Whyte bikes too.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.