Top 50 Road Cyclists in the World

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited June 2015 in Pro race
Telegraph's 50 top road cyclists.

Top 10 is pretty obvious but after that it gets more interesting...

http://d2ride.co.uk/News-and-Blog.php

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Telegraph's 50 top road cyclists.

Top 10 is pretty obvious but after that it gets more interesting...

http://d2ride.co.uk/News-and-Blog.php

Clearly the guy doesn't know much.

How can Voeckler be better than Alaphilippe now?

Cav better than Kittel?

Boonen 3rd? Oh please, maybe a few years ago.

Froome 7th? Again that is clearly ridiculous.

Kristoff not top 10 on current form?

Wiggo top 10?

And I don't remember seeing Cheng Ji in there either?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Is Wiggins even a road cyclist anymore? Very odd list, when was the last time Boonen did anything to be classed in the top 3? It's about as fair a reflection of reality as the FIFA world rankings.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Is Wiggins even a road cyclist anymore? Very odd list, when was the last time Boonen did anything to be classed in the top 3? It's about as fair a reflection of reality as the FIFA world rankings.

About sums it up for me. They don't explain their criteria which might help understand - for example, cav has the better palmares than kittel. And as much as I'm a fan of TV Tommy, he doesn't belong on that list.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The list is based on palmares isn't it and therefore the top ten looks more or less accurate to me. The only thing which doesn't make much sense is having Froome where he is. He has won one GT; so what. Clearly a British bias there and also a little for Wiggins.

This list is not based on a ranking system so much as a subjective one with standout performances weighted against factors such as age, potential and value to team. It does not take into account achievements on the track...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • T

This list is not based on a ranking system so much as a subjective one with standout performances weighted against factors such as age, potential and value to team. k...

Rolland at 50 ?? A 4th and 11th in Tours of Italy and France last year and two top ten Tour de France finishes plus that Alpe D Huex stage and lots of attacking riding in between for a 28 year old in what has been a pro conti team operating at WT level ?
  • RideOnTime
    There is no accounting for any track success.
    This is why Wiggo is 7.

whoops I mean 5.

Froome is 7.

I can't find a 12. Quintana is 13 there's no 12 :shock:
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Not sure how the word "unquestionable" can be used when referring to Contador....
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    I'm sure that article came out during the 'classics' season. Not sure you'd have Tommeke & Spartacus in 2nd & 3rd at the moment. And Degenkolb would surely be higher than Kittel?
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • The_Boy
    Not sure how the word "unquestionable" can be used when referring to Contador....

"Alberto Contador is unquestionably a liar and a cheat"?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RideOnTime

But numero uno...
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    The_Boy wrote:

Maybe but a very small Liar and Cheat when compared to Bjarne Riis and the whole Deutsche Telekom Team but you say nothing about those splendid fellows. ???
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy wrote:

Maybe but a very small Liar and Cheat when compared to Bjarne Riis and the whole Deutsche Telekom Team but you say nothing about those splendid fellows. ???

The quote I responded to made no mention of them, so why would mine?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Think it's reasonably fair top 10.

Boonen and Cancellara absolutely dominated their field (classics) and were/are by far and away ahead of everyone else, and they also dominated other fields for a lengthy period too (Cancellara TT - Boonen sprints).

People keep saying they were finished this year, but they both crashed out before we could find out. They seem to suggest their numbers are they same, (Boonen certainly does), and the have done enough that they don't need to

Contador is obviously the best GT rider out there.

Cav has to be up there for obvious reasons - one of the most successful sprinters ever - but a little one dimensional.

Wiggins - such an unusual palmares

Nibali - won all 3 GTs along with Contador so sure, deserves to be there.

Froome - probably the best GT rider right now, but only has 1 GT to his name, and a few podiums, so fair.

Valverde - most versatile rider from Feb - October - and has won shitloads.

Tony Martin - bit high perhaps but he's in a class of his on in TTs, and he can win the odd stage now.

Kittel - current top sprinter - probe a bit high but in fairness he's the best sprinter in the world on form. Doesn't have the palmares to justify being higher.

Sagan - can finish top 5 on virtually any stage possible, bar the most extreme mountain stage or long TT. Ridiculous talent.

Seems a fair list to me.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    What an odd list to make.

And no Petacchi?...
  • rick_chasey
    Retired no?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Isn't he still in the game somewhere?
  • RideOnTime
    Sep Vanmarcke 27

should be 28 in my view :?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Think it's reasonably fair top 10.

Boonen and Cancellara absolutely dominated their field (classics) and were/are by far and away ahead of everyone else, and they also dominated other fields for a lengthy period too (Cancellara TT - Boonen sprints).

People keep saying they were finished this year, but they both crashed out before we could find out. They seem to suggest their numbers are they same, (Boonen certainly does), and the have done enough that they don't need to

Theres a documentary from Belgian TV on youtube somewhere from Quick Steps classic buildup in 2013. It really shows what an absolute mess he was from his blood poisoning that spring. Theres some footage of him training in Calpe afterwards and getting dropped by 2 amateurs. I don't think we've seen Boonen at anything like top form since 2012, due to reasons beyond his control

2013- Almost died
    2014- Knackered thumb and his wife's miscarriage
    2015- Knackered shoulder.

Looks to be in decent nick currently, too
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Won yesterday in Rund um Koln.

Also, do you have a link to the documentary? Would LOVE to watch that.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Won yesterday in Rund um Koln.

Also, do you have a link to the documentary? Would LOVE to watch that.

I'll dig it out when I get home. Youtube is banned by my Japanese overlords.

it also features Cav exploding at some scruffy blogger at the team press day for asking him loads of Lance questions. "No! Just f**k off! F**K OFF!"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Bahaha.
  • disgruntledgoat

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Yes mate.

Evening viewing sorted.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Yes mate.

Evening viewing sorted.

Let me know what you think. I'm just watching it again now... Boonen's ears are almost Elven

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Yes mate.

Evening viewing sorted.

Let me know what you think. I'm just watching it again now... Boonen's ears are almost Elven

Actually lol'd at this bit: https://youtu.be/pIZqR_g2Q9o?t=18m58s
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah enjoyed that. Good fun.

Without wanting to sound like a London tw@t, I forget how provincial Dutch speakers (and especially Flandrians, christ) can be. Quite endearing really.

Curious to see that Quick Step were the first team to cart a chef around.
  • RideOnTime
    Leuven_-_Brabantse_Pijl,_15_april_2015,_vertrek_(B169).JPG

and there's always riders knocking on the door of the top 50...
    knock knock...
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    He'd want to finish exactly 50th though, to remain true to form
  • RideOnTime
    and I guess if it was the top 100, he would be 100. He's good though.