Kit - bibshorts and gloves

Mas0n
Mas0n Posts: 23
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Im currently in the market to buy some new kit. Im doing a charity ride at the end of July from Cardiff to Paris - covering just over 460 miles in 5 days.

Im looking at buying a bit of new kit to go and am stuck on the bibshorts and the gloves. We'll be covering between 80 and 110 miles each day so I wanted something comfortable.

Bibshorts wise im stuck between the DHB Aeron Pro Cycling Bib Short and the Castelli Evoluzione . Has any one got any experience with these shorts or could they point me in the direction of any others for around the same price mark?

Gloves im stuck once again - im thinking of either going for the Gore Bike Wear Power 2.0 or the Castelli S.Uno. Once again, can anyone help me decide between these please?

I hope someone can help cause im pulling my hair out trying to decide!

Many thanks

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,881
    Hi there, have you considered the La Passione classic bibs?

Not in stock until the end of June, but 2 pairs can be had for £65 each currently.
    Check the 'top end bib shorts' thread for some reviews and discount code.

Can't really help with mitts, I tend to use Altura or Etxeondo, both of which I find very comfy.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Mas0n
    Thats brilliant thanks - they may not be in stock in time for my ride though.

Has any one else got any recommendations?
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Order them now and you have at least 4 weeks for them to arrive...
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    What Bib Shorts do you use currently and how do you get on with them. The problem with asking for advice on bib Shorts on a forum is everyone is different. I hated the pad in the DHB Aeron Pro but I would be fine with pad in the DHB ASV shorts. With regards to Mitts I have recently bought the Lizard Skins La Sal 1.0 mitts from Wiggle and for me they are fantastic and hopefully being leather they should be long lasting.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I prefer DHB shorts to Castelli. And for mitts - I found some in Aldi that seem as good as any other I've had.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    go to the LBS, try some on and sit on a bike.
    I ended up buying gore mitts last time as nothing else was as comfy, off and on-able or durable. Tried plenty of posh gloves but no good for me.
    Funnily enough, I was looking at my gloves yesterday and the wear patch on the suede palm exactly misses the padded bits so I probably don't even need padding in them!
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    I've got the Castelli ones and they were fine on a 100 miler obv might not suit you though.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Mas0n
    Thanks for all the replies. Some food for thought. I currently own a couple of pair of Louis Garneau bib shorts - only cheap from my LBS and are pretty good for medium rides but am looking to upgrade due to the miles I'll be doing each day.