Specialized headsets- born to creak

Will Ingram
Will Ingram Posts: 26
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All
My first Specialized, an Allez sport, developed a creaking headset after a few years, especially when I pushed/ pulled the drop bars. Now my year old Specialized Tricross has exactly the same problem (if it can be called that). Also my Trek Superfly has a bit of a creak, when riding off-road (but hauling on the handlebars does do it).

Is there any way to stop this developing & why oh why do Specialized bikes always do it?

They are all press-fit bearings so nothing I can do to fix it myself :(

Cheers
Will

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Presumably you've checked and adjusted them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Probably not....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Checked the bolts, what else is there ?
    Takes a star washer- not sure what there is to adjust. Just a case of pulling it together with the top cap, then doing up the stem bolts ? I thought the bearings were sealed units (the shops told me they were).
    Cheers
    Will
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Not contradicting yourself helps.

Headsets need servicing. 2 years sounds like an ok interval. Spec probably don't make the headset either
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bearings can be replaced.
    But it's still not clear if you've adjusted or checked anything.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So what have you done to try and stop the creaking?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.