Pinch mark in steerer

pcb24
pcb24 Posts: 98
edited June 2015 in Workshop
I have noticed a pinch mark (no crack) on the steerer of my forks. Is it ok to cut below the pinch mark and sell them on, or do I have to chuck them? They are 3T Funda forks. Thanks
Cervelo S2
Langster for the winter

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,110
    How much steerer would be left if you cut them?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pcb24
    Around 200mm as I have a 61cm cervelo with a long head tube. Would it therefore be ok?
    Cervelo S2
    Langster for the winter
  • I have noticed a pinch mark (no crack) on the steerer of my forks. Is it ok to cut below the pinch mark and sell them on, or do I have to chuck them? They are 3T Funda forks. Thanks

If someone else did this and you (or the person you love most on the world) bought them would you be happy about that?

PS If it was me I would sell them as is and include a photo of the mark. Let the buyer decide if they want them. To cut them and say nothing is deception.
  • pinno
    I have noticed a pinch mark (no crack) on the steerer of my forks. Is it ok to cut below the pinch mark and sell them on, or do I have to chuck them? They are 3T Funda forks. Thanks

If, if if...that?

PS If it was me I would sell them as is and include a photo of the mark. Let the buyer decide if they want them. To cut them and say nothing is deception.

I'd go with that.

How much do you want for them?
  • pcb24
    Thanks for the replies, I am happy to sell them as they are and I did plan on telling the buyer, I just wanted to know if I had to chuck them. They are 290mm in length in their current state and the pinch mark is at 200mm pinarello001. I should also state they are cervelo branded off my S2. How about £50 posted? See here for eBay listing and pictures: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111694811459?nav=SELLING_ACTIVE
    Cervelo S2
    Langster for the winter
  • pinno
    Thanks for the replies, I am happy to sell them as they are and I did plan on telling the buyer, I just wanted to know if I had to chuck them. They are 290mm in length in their current state and the pinch mark is at 200mm pinarello001. I should also state they are cervelo branded off my S2. How about £50 posted? See here for eBay listing and pictures: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111694811459?nav=SELLING_ACTIVE

£50 !! No, they have a pinch mark in them. I'll only give you a tenner. :D
  • pcb24
    The comedy clubs in leceister square!!
    Cervelo S2
    Langster for the winter
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    Cervelo forks should have a re-enforcing alloy sleeve glued into them upon assembly.
    Forks are offered up to bike and dummy assembled to decide steerer length, then removed, cut and the alloy sleeve glued in.
    It sounds as though this was not done to your fork, hence the problem you have encounted.
    These forks have failed in the past and the sleeve was the fix for the failure.

I suggest that you retire them, or use them on a considerably smaller headtube and make sure that the alloy sleeve is fitted correctly.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Cervelo forks should have a re-enforcing alloy sleeve glued into them upon assembly.
    Forks are offered up to bike and dummy assembled to decide steerer length, then removed, cut and the alloy sleeve glued in.
    It sounds as though this was not done to your fork, hence the problem you have encounted.
    These forks have failed in the past and the sleeve was the fix for the failure.

I suggest that you retire them, or use them on a considerably smaller headtube and make sure that the alloy sleeve is fitted correctly.
    This was before they used 3T forks and they carried on supplying the alloy sleeve and star fangled nut when they changed forks.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    ONyerbike, I can assure you that if it was not required, we would not waste half an hour building every Cervelo bike and have to wait 24h before final test riding it before it went on the floor.
    I tend to believe the manufacturer when they say it is necessary.
  • on-yer-bike
    ONyerbike, I can assure you that if it was not required, we would not waste half an hour building every Cervelo bike and have to wait 24h before final test riding it before it went on the floor.
    They dont, they say its preferable
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • on-yer-bike
    They dont, they say its preferable
    Or did when I built mine.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo