Club Fees ?

2»

Comments

• iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    As already said, clubs have an awful lot of 'behind the scenes' expenses that you wouldn't really know about unless you went to the AGM and looked at the annual balance sheet.
    This can include insurance, website costs, kit subsidy etc.

My last club was very, very good and although you needed your own membership of CTC/ BC for 3rd party insurance, the £20 to the club paid for hall hire for the (free) weekly meetings (with once monthly juniors session that can be useful for adults too!) which often had film nights etc, then there was the sunday club ride plus many more social rides throughout the week- subsidised junior entry to the local TT league TTs, junior coaching every saturday at a local college etc etc.
    Lots of subsidies for junior members, and also subsidising the many events and activities for everyone else as well.

Admittedly this is a lot more than other clubs I've been a member of, but the others have done winter turbo sessions in a hired hall
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081

I'd have thought after all of the expenses that the club has to pay that there wouldn't be much left of the £20 annual fee. Most of the balance we built up in my club was from our popular organised rides - that brought £100s into the club.

I guess that would depend on the number of members.

A hijack from the thread topic, I gathered from this that you run rides which are organised in some fashion which raises money? Just intrigued by what they are? (curious as I've never seen/heard of such things, not being negative in case it is perceived so via this lovely font)
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Organise a couple of Road Races and you'll see where the money goes (in the pockets of unscrupulous traffic management companies mainly!)
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

I'd have thought after all of the expenses that the club has to pay that there wouldn't be much left of the £20 annual fee. Most of the balance we built up in my club was from our popular organised rides - that brought £100s into the club.

I guess that would depend on the number of members.

A hijack from the thread topic, I gathered from this that you run rides which are organised in some fashion which raises money? Just intrigued by what they are? (curious as I've never seen/heard of such things, not being negative in case it is perceived so via this lovely font)

As a bad example. Catford CC run the Hell of the Ashdown which is a pay-for event, although in that case the money goes to charity.

That kind of think I imagine. A club organised sportive, except to fill the coffers rather than for charity.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Our club event was a trails and cross country event - back in the day when MTB was all the rage. So a bit like a sportif but mainly off road. It died out when people got bored of cleaning their bikes of mud I think.

I'm sure lots of clubs do similar events.