Sorry another tyre question... Michelin pro3 vs pro4

fudgey
fudgey Posts: 854
edited June 2015 in Road general
Evening all, i will be taking my bike on holiday to spain this year, and going to buy a new pair of tyres as the rear has squared off a bit now.

I am currently running Michelin pro4 endurance and have done 1700 miles on them with touch wood none of the P words.

While looking for another pair i found on chain reaction they have the pro3 road race version for £29.99 with a free pair of tubes, i think i paid £22 each for the pro4's last time so thats a pretty good deal.

But what is the difference? I want something durable that will last a good while, and be puncture resistant too.
I used the pro4 all through winter with no grip issues and i like them, from what i can see people say there is not much difference between the two with some saying the 4 will last around 4000km and the 3 3500km.
I have had the bike a year and done just over 3000 miles on it.

Also, what other spares would be a good idea to take other than tubes, quick links and a new chain and brake pads - although i will probably replace those before i go.
Cheers, Dan

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/michelin-pro-3-race-road-tyres-black-free-tubes/rp-prod122110
My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...

Comments

• andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Similar performance but about 500 less kms life in a pro 3 ime! Both are race tyres
  • fudgey
    So not much in them for a £14 saving then.

Might give them a go,and see how i get on.

Cheers
  • Record11Ti
    Record11Ti Posts: 74
    On my clinchers I did all of my training and racing on PR3, now PR4. Hard to tell one from the other based on feel but for on a Zipp disk, then it seems the 4 sticks a little better. I would go for the lesser costly one being as they are about equal on every front.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I found the 3s cut up really badly (mainly ridden on Essex roads), have recently fitted a pair of pro 4 service course and haven't had that problem after a few hundred miles.
  • fudgey
    Thanks jack, i have been lucky with the pro4 so far and only had 1 small cut to note.

The roads where i am going are not great and there are lots of hills to ride up/down. I imagine most damage is done under braking on poor surfaces so might be better off with the 4's then
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    You can get pro4 service course from Decathlon for £33 a pair at the moment.
  • fudgey
    Ah excellent, thanks!
    But what is the difference between the service course and the endurance?
    Logic dictates that the endurance is tougher hahaha.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Ah excellent, thanks!
    But what is the difference between the service course and the endurance?
    Logic dictates that the endurance is tougher hahaha.
    etoile-de-performances-michelin-pro-4-endurance_tyre_360_small.png

etoile-de-performances-packaging-michelin-pro-4_tyre_360_small.png

This info is from the Michelin website.
  • fudgey
    Thanks for that, ill stick to what i know then and stick with the pro4 endurance.
    Thanks gozzy!
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I guess I'm a little late to this party but after using several sets of both the 3's and 4's the 4's have given me about 20% more mileage, slightly fewer punctures and a little bit better grip in wet and dry. And not always offered but Mich. do make a 25mm Pro 4 that measures out to about 27mm in true width for those who like a wider tyre.