CX tyres - tubeless

Ericv2015
Ericv2015 Posts: 2
edited June 2015 in Cyclocross
I'm considering purchasing either the Continental 700x32 CycloXKing tyre or the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 700x33 and running them tubeless with Stand NoTubes sealant.

I have a Stand Iron Cross wheelset that I plan on using.

Has anyone had any experience running these tubeless down to approx 22-23psi? Any issues with 'burping' in the corners or on off-camber sections?

thanks,
eric

Comments

• woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    I used Racing Ralphs from for the second half of last season. Very nice tyre with a reasonably aggressive tread. I would consider them an intermediate condition tyre that can cope pretty well with wet and mud late in the year. In fact I never found the need to change them for anything really aggressive even in December/Jan.
    Personally I wouldn't fit them for summer use whilst it is still very dry. They would probably be ok but I think you might tear through them pretty quickly, they could well be wrecked by the time you need the tread.

My top tips for tubeless are to buy a Tyre Pressure gauge. I never found the need with road tyres and just used the track pumps. However when dealing with low pressures I find it is useful to be more accurate.
    You are definitely going to burp tyres whilst experimenting with low pressures, until you find what pressures work for you. Experimenting is best not done in your first proper event of the year. Summer CX leagues are ideal for messing about with set up and kinda pushing the limits whilst not really caring about the result.
    Tubeless can seem a right faff to start with. IMO it is well worth the effort when you get your set up sorted.
    Good Luck
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    WTB crosswolf for me... great tyres!
    left the forum March 2023