Family holiday - Majorca

shinsplint
shinsplint Posts: 565
edited June 2015 in Tour & expedition
Afternoon guys,

We are considering a holiday abroad despite having a 9 month old boy. As you might have guessed I will be taking the bike (or hiring).

I've been on a training camp to Majorca so I know this is a suitable option.

I think for ease we will be looking at an all inclusive package.

Can anyone recommend a bike-friendly hotel / complex in the northern area of Majorca?

It doesnt have to be Majorca though, so any recommendation gratefully received. As long as there are plenty of hills and generally good for road cycling. Wherever we go, main priority is decent accomodation, as with a little boy we will be spending a lot of it there.

Thank you for any help / suggestions.

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I'm a huge fan of Puerto Pollensa and stayed at the Daina Hotel (they have SC apartments too). Very nice and they have a designated garage for storing bikes. My one concern was that, although the garage was lockable, it wasn't always locked, so I ended up keeping my bike on the apartment balcony, which was not a problem. I've been to Mallorca several times and PP is by far my favourite resort, not just for a cycling base but as a family holiday base too, love it.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • bronco016
    bronco016 Posts: 39
    Have a look at http://www.mallorcacyclinghotels.co.uk. Quite a few hotels on there
    http://www.mallorcacyclinghotels.co.uk
    Cycling friendly accommodation in Mallorca
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    We did a family trip last easter, paid £160 each Self Catering flying from Manchester. Stayed in Alcudia, perfect location for a family. Hired bikes through Max Hurzeler
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Another vote for PdeP. I stayed at the Villaconcha Apartments: http://www.hoposa.es/English/Hotels/hoposa-apartments-villa-concha-family-and-sports. Sounds like similar set-up to where Crescent stayed, with good bike facilities (which seemed secure enough) and well kitted with bike tools/stand, washing facilities, etc.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Port de Pollenca is always going to be the best location for that. You can get out of bed early and get to the lighthouse and back before the wife and child have had breakfast.
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Another vote for Villa Concha. Stayed there in March. Staff and facilities (bike & family) spot on.
  • shinsplint
    Thanks for al your replies guys, i'll look in to those. I'm currently waiting to hear from the local travel agent to see what they can offer. Exciting times.

Also need to decide whether to take my own bike... I have a bike bag which i've only used once, but the issue is we'll have loads of stuff to take already with a 9 month old lad... I'm sure there are decent bike to be hired out there, but I think I would prefer to take my own. I might think differently though when the time comes and i'm wrestling with the whole lot in the airport.

Any thoughts?
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Thanks for al your replies guys, i'll look in to those. I'm currently waiting to hear from the local travel agent to see what they can offer. Exciting times.

Also need to decide whether to take my own bike... I have a bike bag which i've only used once, but the issue is we'll have loads of stuff to take already with a 9 month old lad... I'm sure there are decent bike to be hired out there, but I think I would prefer to take my own. I might think differently though when the time comes and i'm wrestling with the whole lot in the airport.

Any thoughts?

50/50 on this. I took my own bike and I'm glad I've had the experience of riding it on such nice roads, with some lovely photos to look back on! But if I was to go back to Mallorca I'd honestly just hire a bike while I was there to save the hassle. BA managed to delay my bike getting out there by 24 hours, which is extremely frustrating given that cycling was the only reason I was there. (Plus the hassle of getting the bike in and out of box and set up for riding, but this was complicated by having a quill stem. Oof!)

The facilities out there really are excellent. You'll have a ridiculous choice of bikes to hire and if you stay in PdP you're unlikely to be more than a few minutes' walk from the hire shop.
  • markhewitt1978

Any thoughts?

There are some pretty good hire places in Port de Pollenca so I would just hire one from there. Sure it's not your own bike but you should still be able to get a good one, and once you've ridden it for a bit you won't notice anyway.

I wouldn't like to contemplate sorting out a bike with a 9 month old in tow, and that's from experience of going through with a 2 and 3 year old which was bad enough. The main issue being getting the bike to/from the airport to where you are staying.
  • shinsplint
    Some good points there, thanks a lot. I hadnt taken in to account the transfer part of the journey. I think that settles it - will hire a bike :)
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Better off hiring, same price as taking your own, but you aren't risking your own.

I'd recommend booking online, much cheaper (teletextholidays etc)
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • shinsplint
    Cheers, yeh I think i'll hire. Just got a new bike which i'm a bit wary of taking as well.

After mooching about online and in travel agent, I think Jet2 are the cheapest i've seen. I think we'll be going all inclusive for ease really, with the little one.
  • markhewitt1978
    After mooching about online and in travel agent, I think Jet2 are the cheapest i've seen. I think we'll be going all inclusive for ease really, with the little one.

Jet2 are pretty good, we've had three Mallorca holidays with them, no complaints at all - apart from them costing a fortune, but they all do!

Do your all inclusive sums carefully. Having a 9 month old baby doesn't make you incapable of going out of the hotel, as I'm sure you know.
  • shinsplint

Jet2 are pretty good, we've had three Mallorca holidays with them, no complaints at all - apart from them costing a fortune, but they all do!

Do your all inclusive sums carefully. Having a 9 month old baby doesn't make you incapable of going out of the hotel, as I'm sure you know.

Cheers Mark,

I was just thinking about the all inclusive thing this morning. I've since checked and B&B only is about £200 cheaper for the 10 days so its a no brainer really. We'll still be getting out plenty of course. Just booked up anyway. As you say, its not cheap, but i'm sure it will be worth it.

Thanks for all your help :)