chain tools and pins.

yadnom1973
yadnom1973 Posts: 45
edited June 2015 in Workshop
I have been fixing my chain. I removed a few links and re joined the chain using a chain tool and a pin. It’s a 9 speed Shimano so I used a 9 speed Shimano pin and it all seems to have worked fine except that it sits flush on the side that I applied the pressure too but the side I snapped of protrudes from the link about 1 mil. Is this normal, will this be ok?
I'd like to put pictures up that I took but I can’t see how I just get Img in brackets when I hit the button?

It says in the leaflet that came with the pin to be sure that the connecting pin protrudes uniformly from both sides, but no mention how to achieve that.

Comments

• yadnom1973
    Also the link is very stiff and the videos on you tube say that to loosen it just put it back in and apply pressure with the tool to the same side, but that is how I removed the pin in the first place and I can’t risk breaking the chain again as I don’t have another pin.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Have you seen this vid, go to the end section and try flexing the chain from side to side to remove the stiffness.

I've never used Shimano chains and connecting pins, however before quick links were supplied with Sedis/Sachs/SRAM chains that I used on my MTB, I would just use the chain tool to drive the pre-fitted connecting pin into the opposing link plate. Sometimes ended up with a stiff link but the side to side flex technique always resolved the problem at least on a 7/8sp chain. If the pin was protruding more oneside than the other, I used to reverse the chain tool and push the pin back until it was equal, not sure whether you can do that with the Shimano connecting pin though.
  • yadnom1973
    I think I'll try what you say about reversing the tool to even it out, maybe that will losen it up a bit too.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Your chain tool should have 2 ways of inserting the chain. The lower position is for driving pins in / out. Then there's a higher position you can use for freeing up stiff links. Pop the chain in here and apply a bit of pressure to the protruding end of the pin
  • yadnom1973
    yep it seems to have worked, thanks for the advice guys