Ultegra Triple Bikes

Grampa
Grampa Posts: 5
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Ultegra Triple (52 - 39 - 30) is the set-up I enjoy most on the road. Is it offered on any new bikes currently on the market?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ultegra hasn't been available as a triple for several years, and the new 11 speed 105 has also abandoned triples, so you may struggle to find a new bike with the chainrings you want.

I have a 105 triple 50/39/30 from 8 years ago which I find just about perfect for my ageing knees.

Tiagra 4600 comes as a triple, but that's also 50/39/30. And the chainset's hideous.

New Tiagra 4700 out shortly with a nicer chainset and still with a triple option.

Alternatively Campag do offer some triple chainsets, not sure about chainring sizes. Or somebody like Spa Cycles who cater for the touring cyclist will almost certainly be able to supply a suitable chainset.

Here you go!

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s109p2004
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    If you shop around you can still find 10 speed Ultegra triple components if you want to do it yourself, but you won't find any new bikes with it.

It's pretty understandable given the gear range available with a semi-compact 52/36 chainset and an 11 speed 11-32 cassette - very comparable in range to the 9 speed triples that were common a few years ago - I've got an older bike running a 9 speed triple, this is what I might swap it to sooner or later.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    But with the 9sp triple you'll spend the majority of your time in the 39, and with a compact you'll be swapping chainrings back and forth a lot more. The price of progress :-).
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Correct! That's precisely what I do with mine. I must spend 95% of my time in the 39 ring, occasionally using the others for rare steep climbs / headwinds or long descents / tailwinds.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Ah, in which case SRAM has you covered:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/sram-brings-1x-to-the-road-with-new-force-1-and-rival-1-groupsets-43808/

TBH, I used to feel the same but the non-availability of 42-tooth middle chainrings meant I had to shift to a 39 which is a lot less useful on the flat, plus I became a bit stronger/more used to cross chaining in the big ring.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    But with the 9sp triple you'll spend the majority of your time in the 39, and with a compact you'll be swapping chainrings back and forth a lot more. The price of progress :-).
    Depends on the size of the chainrings. You can spec them yourself.
  • Grampa
    Grampa Posts: 5
    Thanks, guys. Campag's 52-42-30 looks ideal and getting a 54 ring on a Spa Audax makes that attractive for touring/general use (n + 1 rule!). I'll start saving.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You could create your own using components from Middleburn/TA/Stronglight etc. You get the rings/cranks you want. I think Tune has cranks and spider but spendy
    M.Rushton