Stans tubeless - XC and all mountain difference

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited June 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Going to buy stand tubeless kit for my 29er Carbon HT and have come across a cross country version and an all mountain version.

What is the difference between them as I thought the kits would be universal providing you bought the correct tyre size.

Any help would be great to explain the difference.
Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• Mattcee
    Mattcee Posts: 148
    I think the difference is the width of the rim strip provided in the kit.
    XC seems to be for rims 21.5–25mm and all mountain 25-28mm wide so check the width of your rims.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Get yourself a gorilla tape (trim it to whatever width you need);

Get yourself pair of tubeless ready valves or cut one off the old inner tube;

Get yourself a bottle of tubeless sealant;

Get your hands dirty...about 30min - job done.

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-repair/tech-how-to-ghetto-tubeless-for-mountain-bikes/

Chris
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Get yourself a gorilla tape (trim it to whatever width you need);

Get yourself pair of tubeless ready valves or cut one off the old inner tube;

Get yourself a bottle of tubeless sealant;

Get your hands dirty...about 30min - job done.

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-repair/tech-how-to-ghetto-tubeless-for-mountain-bikes/

Chris

As Chris says above, tried it my self and was amazed how easy it was :D
  • I can also claim success in the ghetto route.

Spent money on a new stanley blade, duct tape and a bottle of stans no-tube silicon - cost me £18 all in.

2 wraps of duct tape to seal the rims, cut the valves off old inner tubes and used them.

One bit of advice i would like to give - IF you are using new tyres, ie: ones from an online shop that have been delivered boxed, folded and secured in elastic bands or similar, set the tyres up with inner tubes, inflate to a high PSI then leave overnight. This will straighten the beads on the tyres out and allow them to be seated on the rims a bit easier once you pull the inner tubes out - i didn't do this initially and spent 4 hours with a industrial strength air compressor trying to understand why the tyre wasn't taking air.

Once i have left them over night, the back tyres went on within 5 minutes and the front tyre was about 10 minutes - think the delay on the front was were i didn't pull the inner tube out carefully enough so made another gap similar to my first problem. Lined my rim with standard builders silicon and it worked straight away. Wiped away the excess and jobs a good'un.