Rear wheel misaligned!

carl1983
carl1983 Posts: 162
edited June 2015 in Workshop
hi, my Fulcrum 5 rear wheel is not sitting straight in the dropouts! The wheel leans to the left even though it's seated fully in the dropouts?
The frame is a Scott addict R2 with carbon dropouts, it was fine a month or so ago when I checked last.

Can QR skewers cause this? I did replace my old ones recently.

Comments

• carl1983
    carl1983 Posts: 162
    Anyone?

Is it possible for a wheel to go out of dish on its own?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Turn the wheel around in the drop-outs to see if it's the wheel dish or frame alignment? Some lightweight skewers don't provide enough clamping force and the wheel can 'walk' in the dropout. If the wheel hasn't been clamped securely, it's not unknown for the soft drop out to wear
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    can you try the wheel in a friends frame?

could be your frame is out of alignment

one other thing to try - remove the quick release completely and place the wheen in the frame (bike in normal position, not upside down or anything). is the wheel in straight now? is the axle touching the top of the dropouts i.e. seated correctly?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    hi, my Fulcrum 5 rear wheel is not sitting straight in the dropouts! The wheel leans to the left even though it's seated fully in the dropouts?
    The frame is a Scott addict R2 with carbon dropouts, it was fine a month or so ago when I checked last.

Can QR skewers cause this? I did replace my old ones recently.

If you've replaced sturdy internal cam QRs with some fancy lightweight external cam ones then yes, that could be the cause. They don't exert anywhere near as much clamping force.

I've had loads of bikes where the wheel would be slightly skewed with the axle right at the back of each dropout, and I've had to jiggle the wheel central before clamping in position with the QR.
  • Have you go the springs on the qr the right way round?
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    Not so much these days, but a bent axle could be the issue?