Rumbly noise in back wheel

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
edited June 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Trek xcalibur 7 29er ( i think it's a shimano hub)

This noise is a noticeable rumble/mild grind type of noise and i think is coming from the hub. There is no play in the wheel.

When it first happened it just came on after about 15 miles of road riding, this was about 2 miles from home. It was only just a noticeable noise.

When i took the axle out one side had ample grease the other (derailieur side) had less and was blackened, the grease i use is red. Possible chain oil contamination?

So i cleaned out that side and regreased with sufficient amount of grease.

The next ride it came on again about 15 - 16 miles into a road ride home from work. This time the noise, although the same sound, was a little bit more audible.

I haven't stripped it again yet but i am wondering if somehow the grease has become contaminated and this has resulted in one side of the hub wearing out?

Any other idea's?
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the bearings or races are shot then fresh grease won't fix it, the blackening could be anything including metal particles coming off due to wear, did you inspect the balls and races when it was apart!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    spin the loose wheel in your hands holding the axle either side - you'll feel the rough axle bearings if that's the issue.

if it is rough, clean out, replace the loose bearings and use fresh grease. should help smooth it out.
    look at the old ball bearings you may see they are not shiny / have corrosion / etc
  • could be worth looking for a loose spoke as well.
  • apple eater
    apple eater Posts: 302
    Update on this, new axle and bearings fitted and i still have the rumble.

Spoke tension is fine and no buckles.

However the noise is only there on free spin, it disappears when pedalling.

The cassestte has a slight wobble but is tight on the hub. What can cause this, i'm not sure what is underneath the cassette in terms of exposed parts?
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Freehub bearings then, I wish you'd said the bit about freewheeling earlier!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.