road wheels for 19 stone rider

ducksta
ducksta Posts: 5
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone just joined.

I have bought a cannondale synapse 6 2014 model, i have bust 2 spokes in 2 weeks, i am 19 stone is there a stronger wheel set out there whats not going to break the bank
All advice appreciated

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Ere we go again :)

See the handbuilt thread at the top or contact Ugo or Cycleclinic. Depends on budget but you will defo need a 36/36 spoke wheelset. Costs will range from £250 to £500 depending on budget and will probably be recommended Ultegra Hubs and Architype Rims :lol:
  • Some wheel manufacturers have no weight limit on their wheels
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Ere we go again :)

See the handbuilt thread at the top or contact Ugo or Cycleclinic. Depends on budget but you will defo need a 36/36 spoke wheelset. Costs will range from £250 to £500 depending on budget and will probably be recommended Ultegra Hubs and Architype Rims :lol:

I was plus 21st when I started riding, now I am 17.5st and 36R and 32F or (36F) handbuilt is the only solution that leads to durable wheels. I would recommend Miche Primato Hubs on Archetypes. I just got my first set of these wider rim wheels and the improvement in cornering grip - in particular is very noticeable.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Did the place you bought the bike suggest the wheelset was suitable for you? Or was it an internet purchase? If the former, it might be worth suggesting to them that they aren't up to the job and could they swap them out for something more suitable??

I'd also suggest handbuilt wheels with 36 spokes front and rear, and possibly a wider rim like the Archetype. Best to speak to Colin at Cycleclinic or Ugo of these forums, or indeed any other reputable wheel builder.

Another thought, Spa Cycles in Harrogate cater for the touring cyclist, so they do a range of sturdy wheelsets. Friendly lot, have a word with the see what they suggest.

eg http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s178p0

I'd also suggest fitting the fattest tyres the frame will take for a bit more shock absorbtion.