What's a decent weekly mileage count?

alpineaddict
alpineaddict Posts: 247
edited June 2015 in Road general
Just asking the question as I'd like to see where I sit in amongst the masses... I appreciate that this is a very ambiguous question, and that there are plenty of variables to take into account, the main one being those that cycle to work and back each day, however, I wondered what people consider a 'reasonable' monthly mileage count, for the 'average' cyclist', in order for them to improve fitness and performance on their bike...

Me, I am currently cycling between 60-70 miles a week, usually over 2 stints out... I am recovering from a very serious ankle dislocation and leg break (not bike related... football) 11 months ago, so not able to really do too much more at present... However, I have been pushing it recently and my 25-30 mile rides are slowly moving to 35-40 mile rides...

I'm also asking as I am heading to Mallorca in July, hoping to spend a couple of days on the bike out there as well... :D

Thx folks

Comments

• daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I commute so do 100 miles a week just doing that.

Couple of evening & weekend rides thrown in and it's not difficult to see 200.

Check out the BR Strava club should give you some ideas - https://www.strava.com/clubs/bike-radar-road-forum
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    Depends on intensity, goals, age and experience. I find I respond better to shorter higher intensity rides rather than long rides. So at the moment I'm riding 4 or 5 x 2-to-3 hr rides each week - with each ride having a focus, so sprints, or hill reps, or tempo, or threshold efforts. Probably averaging 10 hrs, 290km, and 2500m climbing per week. But my goal is crit racing, and I've been riding for close to 10 years now so have a good base. If my goal was long distance then I would be upping the distance and lowering the intensity - at least for 1 or 2 rides.

I think a better question to ask is what TSS (http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/what-is-tss) are people aiming for or achieving on a long term basis. 700 seems to be a figure that's quoted for average racing cyclists. With elites and pros obviously being able to cope with higher training loads.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Personally I would say 50-100 miles per week. Most of the time I'm at the lower end of that range.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,748
    For someone that considers themself in "training" rather than just a leisure cyclist I'd say roughly 500 miles a month plus - there will be exceptions to that but that kind of ballpark upwards for most.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,275

Me, I am currently cycling between 60-70 miles a week, usually over 2 stints out...

From April until the end of September a decent mileage is 200 a week or 800 a month... in winter half that is plenty.
    left the forum March 2023
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I average around 100 miles per week in summer, and usually just do one 30-40 mile ride per week in winter. I make use of the turbo though while the weather is cold and rubbish.

To do many more miles than that I would need to commute by bike, and/or not have a young family.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,052
    Same as Rob I suppose but my commute would be 4 miles each way and I need the car as I go out to sites a lot.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,486
    Weekly numbers for me are 8 hours, 3-4 rides and 125 miles plus a week and I'll need to build my fitness ton increase my fitness and ability to recover as thats the limiting factor.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • alpineaddict
    OK, so I am quite far off in some folks' books and not too far off in others :) Which was always gonna be the case... I would not particularly declare myself as 'in training' however I am trying to get fitter, largely to do with my ankle injury...

I would like to get to around 100 miles a week, which I think I'd be happy with... Time would not allow for too much more and I'd hate to be in a position where other parts of my life suffer because I am on the bike all the time...

Never really been into the whole Strava thing, but have joined the BR group so I'll see how I get on :) You'll probably see me floating around the bottom most weeks...
    Depends on intensity, goals, age and experience.

Intensity - Avg... Goals... Immediately, to get fit enough to enjoy myself in Mallorca in 5 weeks... Long term, to shed some belly that has grown due to 10 months on the sidelines and unable to walk... Age - 40... Experience - Casual riding with only a handful of rides over 70 miles long...
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    OK, so I am quite far off in some folks' books and not too far off in others :) Which was always gonna be the case... I would not particularly declare myself as 'in training' however I am trying to get fitter, largely to do with my ankle injury...

I would like to get to around 100 miles a week, which I think I'd be happy with... Time would not allow for too much more and I'd hate to be in a position where other parts of my life suffer because I am on the bike all the time...

Never really been into the whole Strava thing, but have joined the BR group so I'll see how I get on :) You'll probably see me floating around the bottom most weeks...

Intensity - Avg... Goals... Immediately, to get fit enough to enjoy myself in Mallorca in 5 weeks... Long term, to shed some belly that has grown due to 10 months on the sidelines and unable to walk... Age - 40... Experience - Casual riding with only a handful of rides over 70 miles long...

If you're anything like me you'll still reap a lot of benefit. Last year was my first full year road biking, I did 3,500 miles in total plus some turbo work. Pretty much all the miles were 'hard' miles with loads of climbing and very little dawdling.

I dropped 8kg, it might not sound a lot but I was only 75kg to start with and had never been under 71kg in my adult life until I started cycling (I'm 38 now). I'm the fittest I've ever been, and i've never exactly been a couch potato as I've been a postie for 18 years and always pretty active.
  • If you name is Steve Abraham, about 1400!

http://www.oneyeartimetrial.org.uk
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    In summer, about 170 - 200 miles a week. Generally 40 miles on a Sunday with club, a solo ride of 50-60 miles mid week and anywhere between 20-30 miles on 3-4 of the other days. One day off a week normally. In winter about 50 - 100 miles a week and a few roller sessions when weather is too bad to go out.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    On a normal week during the summer where I was at home the whole time I might expect to do over 150 miles without much bother.

Unfortunately that normal week isn't all that common so my mileage tends to be much more lumpy with big weeks alternated with smaller weeks. I live about 750m from work so there is no point commuting by bike. Strava says my weekly average over the last 4 weeks is about 117 miles, although I am away with work from tomorrow for a week so it's going to go down a lot.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,693

Call that an ankle injury? - now THIS is an ankle injury.

Keep plugging away with the ankle. You might surprise yourself where you can get it back to.

If you can do 50-100 miles a week here, I'd reckon on being comfortable with double that on holiday. I just got back from there. The roads are smooth, so it takes less out of you. And there are cyclists everywhere, of all shapes, sizes, ages and speeds, which is motivating. And you'll happily bimble around enjoying the scenery and the odd espresso stop for far longer than you ordinarily would at home. Enjoy!
  • If you are going to Majorca, make sure you get a hotel room with a Balcony.

Generally you can do 500-700 miles in a week on Majorca.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    I aim for 100 miles per week. One longer stint (45-60miles) plus two smaller runs.

Even at a "steady away" pace of 16mph, it's only just over 6 hours of riding. It's got to be better than watching soap operas.
  • alpineaddict

Call that an ankle injury? - now THIS is an ankle injury.

Keep plugging away with the ankle. You might surprise yourself where you can get it back to.

If you can do 50-100 miles a week here, I'd reckon on being comfortable with double that on holiday. I just got back from there. The roads are smooth, so it takes less out of you. And there are cyclists everywhere, of all shapes, sizes, ages and speeds, which is motivating. And you'll happily bimble around enjoying the scenery and the odd espresso stop for far longer than you ordinarily would at home. Enjoy!

Hi mate... I thought my x-rays looked nasty... CAn't really see for your profile pic but looks like a lot more metal work than me... Would be interested in hearing about it and your recovery... I had my metal removed about 3 months back now... but still not got full movement in it... Might PM you if ok...?

I can't wait to get out to Mallorca tbh with you... Just need to up my weekly rides a fraction...
  • First.Aspect
    At the risk of getting into another argument on the road forum, where manpoints are legal tender; this is BAD advice.

Going from 50-100 to 500-700 in a week will cause injury. Please don't. To put this into context, 700 miles is 1100km. This week the riders in the Dauphine are covering 1200km in 8 days.
  • First.Aspect
    Hi mate... I thought my x-rays looked nasty... CAn't really see for your profile pic but looks like a lot more metal work than me... Would be interested in hearing about it and your recovery... I had my metal removed about 3 months back now... but still not got full movement in it... Might PM you if ok...?

I can't wait to get out to Mallorca tbh with you... Just need to up my weekly rides a fraction...
    Sure. Happy to pm.
  • alpineaddict
    At the risk of getting into another argument on the road forum, where manpoints are legal tender; this is BAD advice.

Going from 50-100 to 500-700 in a week will cause injury. Please don't. To put this into context, 700 miles is 1100km. This week the riders in the Dauphine are covering 1200km in 8 days.

There is ZERO chance I will be doing 500-700 miles whilst on holiday :D I hurt just thinking about that...
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    It's all about hours, rather than mileage [if you're training that is].
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • Generally you can do 500-700 miles in a week on Majorca.

All miles aren't equal when you stick in some Alpine climbs. Non of those in Majorca.
  • First.Aspect

All miles aren't equal when you stick in some Alpine climbs. Non of those in Majorca.
    Go on then, I'll bite. What are the roads like in Mallorca then? It is flat there?
  • Generally you can do 500-700 miles in a week on Majorca.

Go on then, I'll bite. What are the roads like in Mallorca then? It is flat there?

As Dodger says above, you could do 4 hour flattish rides every day if you wanted
  • First.Aspect

As Dodger says above, you could do 4 hour flattish rides every day if you wanted
    Uh huh. Pretty much a waste of money to go to Mallorca for that though. Just supposing you did want to cycle in the north of the island, how far.would you reckon on cycling in 6 days?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,923

Uh huh. Pretty much a waste of money to go to Mallorca for that though. Just supposing you did want to cycle in the north of the island, how far.would you reckon on cycling in 6 days?
    6 x 85* miles = 510 miles entirely in the north of Mallorca is easily achievable even for a non-racer on holiday if you leave at 9:00 and return at 5:00.
    I know that for a fact as I achieved it a few weeks ago.
    *Average. One day was 100 miles, some were 60 odd.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Back to the original post...

I've averaged 90-100 miles a week over the past three or four years, a mixture of short and long, faster and slower rides, specific events, commuting and just general getting out and about. I wouldn't claim to be "in training" and the distances vary because I'm a part-time dad who can only do long rides on alternate weekends. This year I basically lost the first four months to injury and am now trying to get back into the routine of riding.

On the subject of sudden mileage increases on holiday, I did 370 hilly miles in six days in Italy earlier this year, on the back of only two weeks' "proper" riding after injury. Three years ago it was 480 miles in eight days (two of them wet) in Mallorca, a mixture of flat and mountains. Both of those included about 25,000ft of climbing and were eat-ride-rest-eat-sleep holidays. I think that free of time pressures and the normal day-to-day grind it's possible to clock up a lot more miles in a week than usual without burning out.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I generally just claim about 15 miles more than the person I'm speaking to.

This can be problematic if I'm talking to more than one person, but I can swerve round any issue with a pretent pause and "... on the fixie. On the road bike, of course, I'm still doing a hilly x miles as I always have".

If it gets even more complex, I can mention turbo miles, roller miles and MTB miles.

By the time I've got to the end of my credible mendacity, only a pro will have done more.

Or another liar.

But we cyclists never lie, so it would have to be a pro.

I hope I have helped.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I generally just claim about 15 miles more than the person I'm speaking to.

This can be problematic if I'm talking to more than one person, but I can swerve round any issue with a pretent pause and "... on the fixie. On the road bike, of course, I'm still doing a hilly x miles as I always have".

If it gets even more complex, I can mention turbo miles, roller miles and MTB miles.

By the time I've got to the end of my credible mendacity, only a pro will have done more.

Or another liar.

But we cyclists never lie, so it would have to be a pro.

I hope I have helped.

Great post :D
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283

Me, I am currently cycling between 60-70 miles a week, usually over 2 stints out...

From April until the end of September a decent mileage is 200 a week or 800 a month... in winter half that is plenty.
    I suppose it depends if you've got other interests that take up part of your non-working life.
    200 miles a week? Probably :wink: someone whose whole life is consumed by cycling. :)