Long life chain

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited June 2015 in The workshop
What is a good long life 9 speed chain? I usually have KMC X9L but I only get around 6 months out of it before reaching 1% stretch.
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    KMC are a brilliant make; are you keeping it vaguely clean? Are you riding in all weathers?

I wouldn't go for the lightweight expensive ones for longevity; cheaper ones usually last longer!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    6 months isn't a good measure of a chain life as one person's 6 month mileage might be quite different to another's.

What sort of mileage are you getting out of the chain?

As above, are you keeping it clean (ish)?

I can't fault KMC chains for long life and general reliability (On everything from 1 to 11 speed here!).
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When the German Tour magazine did some typically thorough wear rate tests on 10 speed chains a while ago I think the Shimano ones fared best, 105 5700 being particularly good VFM.

Don't know if the same would apply to their 9 speed chains?

I have a 9 speed KMC chain on the wet weather bike at the moment and that seems to be wearing particularly well. Are you riding along the beach??
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Chain on my commuter typically lasts about 2 years and 2000 miles before being changed due to having gone rusty (wet salty roads and the front wheel jetwashing the chain), it never gets near even 0.75 elongation.

Chain on my MTB hasn't been changed in 3 years, no idea of mileage.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.