Stretching & inflexibility

2»

Comments

• hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Stretching: read Anatomy for Runners (can't remember the author. But it is on Amazon). You can lengthen muscle by stretching but you have to hold the stretch for 3-4 minutes and repeat for a few weeks. There's a long early chapter about the physiology of muscle tissue and why short period stretching does fark all in the long term.

Whether that would in fact cure your issue is a different matter. Have you been looked at by a Physio recently?

That was my point. It's a myth, and one quoted in many books and many magazines. It's become folklore passed on.
    So if stretching doesn't work Dav, what does?

I think it does work, you just have to hold it a bit longer. Foam rollers are also good or at least they work for me: if it's too painful then reduce the pressure, try not to overdo it and bruise your muscles.

*edited because I messed up the format
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    Use foam roller and long 3-4 minutes stretches (esp quads) when pain gets too much (not regularly)
    Another plug for Tom Danielson Core Advantage http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tom-Danielsons-Core-Advantage-Strength/dp/193403097X been mentioned on here before - don't be mislead by the title it's not about rock hard abs more a muscle imbalance injury prevention system. I haven't gone past the first few routines but it really helps

I'm a cheapskate, so don't really fancy buying a book about a whole muscle imbalance system, when i'm pretty sure my problems are a very tight hamstring and tight hip flexors (as you would expect for a cyclist who sits in front of a desk all day).

More interested in how to improve flexibility. I assumed that was stretching. Apparently, not - in which case, what does?

I'm no fan of paid content either :) As for cheapskate its 2 cups of coffee equivalent in London town...?

I maybe over egged the whole complete system chat - the main point is that the suggested little routines are very very cycling specific, stretches and exercisey type things that specifically target the problems you describe from cycling and desk sitting hips/hams/underactive glutes etc etc. I always knew how to do stretches but it's the targeting of cycling related issues that makes this so effective imho

I (still) can't touch my toes and don't really care - but I cycle pain free
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    am sure if you have spasming muscles which is causing the tightness then massaging/roller them out will help. Given my hip replacement they had to shorten most of the attachment points on my left side so that doesn't help and I get more tightness left side than right. When it starts to feel worse I do more (rollering and massage) and it gets better. Rollering hurts but its short term over the better i feel the next day and after that. I know a very good sports physio in clerkenwell if you wanted a good recommendation.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I had a suspected slipped disc in October last year. Was in agony with back pain for months. Saw a private physio, Sports Massage guy, Chiropractor.... nothing seemed to help. Ended up going to NHS hospital for physio there. He identified really tight hamstrings and glutes, and muscles imbalances as the others had.

But instead of stretching, he gave me a couple of sessions of acupuncture to loosen the tightness. It worked wonders. Back pain went in a couple of days. And I was more flexible.

I'm meant to keep stretching to stay "loose"... but I don't. I'm useless. But I couldn't recommend acupuncture enough.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    After a botched job at a hospital once, I am quite bad with needles..

(as in, I am totally cool about it until one goes in and I faint, more or less instantly - even if I can't see the thing).
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    When I went to see the Bike Whisperer he asked me if I did stretching. I said No. He said "Damn, I knew you were going to say that"

Apparently I'm incredibly flexible for someone of my age and gender. I'm not sure what good it does me (except that I can touch my right ear with my right hand with my (right) arm wrapped around my head from the back - one of the most useless "party tricks" you can imagine).

Anyhow, I've never therefore considered stretching.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    as you would expect for a cyclist who sits in front of a desk all day
    Get a different job, I get plenty of exercise behind my desk - it is mostly leaping to conclusions, diving in at the deep end and stretching my bosses credulity mind you!

I'm not very stretchy, and can only just touch my toes, but then Daley Thomson always claimed he couldn't and it didn't seem to stop him being a decent athlete, its more about maintaining what is natural for you then trying to push it to somewhere else.

Some things can have funny causes, I suffered with a pain in the hip for a while, I had cortisone injections etc and it wouldn't go away, referred to a physio that instantly spotted a slight defect in my stance, I had fallen arches and this was causing one foot (more than he other) to roll in and create an incorrect load on my hip, surgical insoles fixed my hip pain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I used to be a lucky person in that i was naturally very flexible to the point of hyper extending certain joints. My sister (a fully trained and retired ballet dancer who went into teaching for a while) is also naturally flexible which is why ballet suited her so well.

I got older and ignored signs that flexibility was deteriorating. Signs like not being able to sit in a kayak for 3 hours without pins and needles, suddenly finding concept II rowers painful to use (it feels like a nerve moving as I leant forward and backwards at the ends of the strokes), etc. Then I took up Ju-jitsu and the instructors made you warm up properly and then cool down with a final stretch out. That was when my flexibility actually recovered and reached it's best since I was 13 an able to put my legs behind head then walk (a stupid party trick and oneupmanship over someone who reckoned he was better than everyone). It was whilst doing Ju-jitsu (in between numerous injuries from it) that I learnt I could do that shoulder stretch where you link hands behind your back from above and below to stretch better than anyone. When someone said he knew a lass who could rotate those linked hands round their body a bit I had a go and found I could even step through and return after going 360 around my body with linked hands.

Anyway about 3 years ago my active lifestyle ended (I had a son and that put paid to always being outside doing stuff when I had free time). Result I am F00Ked. I am so unfit, inflexible and unhealthy that I have a belly hanging over the belt of my jeans.

Anyway, after all the exercise, training and physio I have had over the years I can say that stretching is important. My take on it is do it when fully warmed up after exercise. Does not matter when but I guess being able to relax and do very little afterwards is a good idea. Take advise. Perform static stretched where you move your body part to stretch the muscle just enough to feel it without doing damage (do not push yourself too far too early in your stretching progression). Then hold it at that stretch position. DO NOT bounce because that causes damage.

The other type of stretching is dynamic stretching. This is pretty obvious, really, you do the action such that it stretched the muscle by the motion. For example taking weight on one leg you swing the other leg ( I think there are versions where you swing it in different directions). This stretched your muscles dynamically and has benefits and issues over static stretches. My advice is to learn both types and do both types.

My experience tells me stretches work to increase or maintain flexibility. If that helps your activity then it is worthwhile, if not then it is just another thing to judge for yourself. What I mean is if you are a martial artist you need increased flexibility as it helps with the kinds of movements you need to make. You rarely see a good fighter who is stiff. If it has no benefit then it is up to you whether you want to be more flexible or not. Personally i feel it is good for everyone.

Now I do not do much exercise other than live my life (commute by bike at least twice a week and at least one day in the weekend has activity lasting a few hours minimum). I do not stretch but I want to start because I feel stiff and for me that is not my normal state. I no longer want to have that hyper extension again (although I have it in a few joints) because it has resulted in a very weak shoulder and other issues like a crunchy elbow. For me it is the legs and the core body that needs loosening up. If I do that I will feel healthier and fitter. My flexibility is not an issue cycling or any of my current activities but stretching is something I want to choose to do (if I get time).
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Now I've hit 38, I'm definitely getting more stiff and achy after exercise if I don't stretch.

I almost always stretch before and after playing my weekly 6-a-side game as when I don't (running late etc) my back and knees are stiff as a board.

I also stretch for 10 mins or so before and after each bike ride (although not on commutes) and again this makes a lot of difference to how I feel after the ride (I don't get pains on the bike).

Oh, I can touch my toes for what it's worth.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    Yoga is good. Yoga for Cyclists by Lexie Williamson has some simple stuff and some more advanced, plus breathing and also exercises you can do on the bike. I have found it very useful.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoga-Cyclists-Lexie-Williamson/dp/1408190478.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Stretching: read Anatomy for Runners (can't remember the author. But it is on Amazon). You can lengthen muscle by stretching but you have to hold the stretch for 3-4 minutes and repeat for a few weeks. There's a long early chapter about the physiology of muscle tissue and why short period stretching does fark all in the long term.

Whether that would in fact cure your issue is a different matter. Have you been looked at by a Physio recently?

That was my point. It's a myth, and one quoted in many books and many magazines. It's become folklore passed on.

Um, aren't there potentially two myths? Stretching works, and stretching doesn't work.

I've read stuff that supports the former. You've read stuff that supports the latter.

So which one is the myth?

Are you really saying that ballerinas and gymnasts are all wasting their time stretching?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    it works if you can do it without further injury i.e. dont do stretches if you have broken vertebra

i'm currently doing reps with a weight held out as straight as i can several times a day to try and get my left arm less like a banana
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Use foam roller and long 3-4 minutes stretches (esp quads) when pain gets too much (not regularly)
    Another plug for Tom Danielson Core Advantage http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tom-Danielsons-Core-Advantage-Strength/dp/193403097X been mentioned on here before - don't be mislead by the title it's not about rock hard abs more a muscle imbalance injury prevention system. I haven't gone past the first few routines but it really helps

I'm a cheapskate, so don't really fancy buying a book about a whole muscle imbalance system, when i'm pretty sure my problems are a very tight hamstring and tight hip flexors (as you would expect for a cyclist who sits in front of a desk all day).

More interested in how to improve flexibility. I assumed that was stretching. Apparently, not - in which case, what does?

With you as a cheapskate, but the basic ones are on YouTube and velopress. Going to look a bit odd in the office though. Make me feel better at the time but I'm not really that convinced.