First CX - Jamis 2015 Nova Sport?

El Selb
El Selb Posts: 137
edited June 2015 in Cyclocross
I've recently been relieved of my Cannondale Synapse so in the market for a new bike. For a few years now I've been tempted by a CX bike and I like the look of the Jamis Nova Sport that I've seen In Evans for GBP 485. It's caught my eye because:

- Price: pretty hard up at the moment so this, esp on C2W scheme, is easy on the wallet. I'd go up to about GBP 800, but great not to have to
- Really like the look of it
- Not 100% sure I want a CX bike (will I miss the speed of a proper road bike, wlll I use it enough on terrain to warrant it) so the price means I won't lose a packet

BUT I wonder:

- Can I do better for the money?
- If I switched to road tyres, will the gearing be high enough or will my legs be spinning like a hamster on a wheel?

Thanks in advance for your comments...

Comments

• LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    If you can spin out 50x11 on the flats give Sir Dave a call...

Looks nice enough for a do everything bike, I personally would save a bit on the side and get 105 Hydro for it, You will be very thankful you did.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I've recently been relieved of my Cannondale Synapse so in the market for a new bike. For a few years now I've been tempted by a CX bike and I like the look of the Jamis Nova Sport that I've seen In Evans for GBP 485. It's caught my eye because:

- Price: pretty hard up at the moment so this, esp on C2W scheme, is easy on the wallet. I'd go up to about GBP 800, but great not to have to
    - Really like the look of it
    - Not 100% sure I want a CX bike (will I miss the speed of a proper road bike, wlll I use it enough on terrain to warrant it) so the price means I won't lose a packet

BUT I wonder:

- Can I do better for the money?
    - If I switched to road tyres, will the gearing be high enough or will my legs be spinning like a hamster on a wheel?

Thanks in advance for your comments...

I bought a 2014 model on ebay and upgraded the groupset to 10 speed sram force/rival mix. Also put some pro 4 service course tyres on for the commute. I'm very impressed with the overall package to be honest. Not as light (obviously!) as my road bike but I haven't really noticed the extra weight and its perfectly fine for what I do. Speeds to work have been slightly slower but not a huge amount in it, probably of the order of 1-1.5mph over a 10 mile commute. Total outlay has been about £330 so can't really complain. I've got the cx tyres ready to roll when the weather gets worse at the end of the year (or for when I can persuade my family to go riding on tracks etc!). I'd have been happy to buy it at full price, the Claris seems fine but I'm happier with hidden cables hence the swap.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I've stuck a 46/36 CX chainset on my wet weather road bike and don't find the top gear of 46x12 too spinny. Downhill I just get up to speed then tuck and freewheel. No mahoosive hills round here though; I might find it a bit lacking in the Pennines or Welsh mountains...