Good cable set for Sram

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited June 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a good cable set (gear and brake) for Sram Red. Want black outers (or dark grey if I have to)

£40-ish to spend... can anyone point me at something good please that I can click and get ordered. (Don't want Jagwire Racer, don't like it).

Thanks all (this will save me a bunch of time and indecision!).

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Why don't you like the Jagwires? I also need to re cable my SRAM Force equipped bike, and had pretty much decided on the Jagwires. Do tell...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    PTFE coated Shmano (seem to be sold as Dura Ace cables)
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I thought Sram and Shimano cable sizes were diferent.
  • I thought Sram and Shimano cable sizes were diferent.

Thee gear inners are - SRAM 1.1mm Shim 1.2mm - brake inners are the same
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    that makes no difference though. Now Gore have gone I don't think there is a standout player anymore unless you go for one of the super expensive ones...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    that makes no difference though. Now Gore have gone I don't think there is a standout player anymore unless you go for one of the super expensive ones...

I've read on here of people having difficulty threading Shimano cables through holes in SRAM shifters, so it may well make a difference.

(but I have no personal experience since there's Shimano everything on all the bikes I have anything to do with)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I ve run SRAM for years and never even knew there was a difference - the Fron Shifter does appear to be Voodoo though. I cant believe that 0.1mm makes a difference to what feels like a cable routing problem though
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I bought a set of the Yokozuna reaction, I'd be careful of spending your money unless you can get some kind of assurance they'll suit your bikes cable runs. The brake outers are so massively stiff that I ended up ditching them, no matter how I routed them or lengthened/shortened the runs I couldn't stop the brakes pulling on and calipers moving on my Foil.

I've still got the Yokozuna gear cables on and they're fine with SRAM Red, I haven't had to adjust them at all yet. I replaced the brake cables with Jagwire Racer and noticed no loss in braking power at all.

I found the coated Gore cables really troublesome, my rear dérailleur was going out of index constantly virtually from the bike being new. When I replaced the cables I found the coating had slightly stripped in several places and was probably causing the cables to stick, and that was only with dry use - the bike doesn't see rain.
  • mfin
    Sorted now thanks guys.

Yokozuna are great btw, used them loads, still have a set of white for Campag here to sell actually as I can't see me putting white on my campag bike. You do have to be aware that the brake outers are stiff, great cables though.

Coating on Gore is crap yeah, it takes no time to clog about on things and just seems a bit sticky really.

(Jagwire to who asked, ferrules seem a bit crap, don't like the pointless unwrapped sections that go under the tape either, that's the Racer sets I am on about, just seem to be trying to be different for marketing purposes and are no better than anything 'off the roll' IMO).
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    So what did you buy in the end?
  • mfin
    Didn't buy anything, realised I had enough cables in my various boxes of bike stuff so am using those as I was in such a rush.
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    Ah, sounds very much like what I've done with my 3 SRAM based bikes! At some point though I am going to run out (I think I still have a couple of the Gore cables left), so if anyone has a good recommendation for SRAM that works well, easy to install and not crazy expensive...
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Ive not had any problems mixing and matching cables inners and outers either way. The 9000 shimano cables have a great effect on the shifting on the SRAM groups I have but I can't be doing with the shedding of the coating.
  • mfin
    The cable coating shedding on Gore is a pain.Yokozuna are really impressive if last bit of cable run for the rear brake isn't too tight (you can always use an odd bit of outer for that bit, but obviously you can't if your rear brake is entirely internally routed), that's the only Yokozuna problem, gear cabling not an issue, just the stiffness of the brake outer.

Pretty standard outer with stainless inners lubed with Rock n Roll Cable Magic always works well. Note if you have Campag, there's nothing odd about their own cables, they feel no need for all these coatings and their standard sets are always perfectly good. Rock n Roll Cable Magic is great stuff for cables that aren't pre-lubed, it's great stuff to have in your toolbox anyway.
  • manc_andy
    manc_andy Posts: 33
    maybe i just got unlucky but the larger cable stop end of the shimano cable snapped the holder inside my 2010 rival shifter when I put it under pressure when fitting. I've convinced myself that the 0.1mm makes a huge difference!